Replacing or Painting Fender Trim 02' Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing or Painting Fender Trim 02' Ranger

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
This weekend I've decided to paint the fender trim on my 02' Ranger. It tends to look almost like a flat grey so I'm going to paint mine gloss black.

I picked up some Krylon Fusion Gloss Black today. Word has it, that's the stuff to use for plastic trim since it has a flex additive.

The first challenge I found was getting the plastic rivets out that hold it inside of the fender. I decided to get a piece of twine to get under the head of them, pulled up enough to get the claw from my hammer under it, to the claw as tight as possible and popped the head off (those fasteners are $5.00/100). Once that was done, there are the clip type connectors. There is enough flex in the trim to use a small flat blade to compress the clips and pop them out without touching the paint.

There were some request for pics of vehicles with the trim removed, so I felt obliged to post some up. IMHO, at least with this Ranger, as opposed to trying to fill the holes (impossible in my book) and moving forward without the trim, the best results will be either to paint and reinstall or go with an aftermarket fiberglass replacement fender. Some of you artistic types may even be able to cut the sheet metal and make it look great, but that option is WAY over my ability. Anyway, on to the pics.

Wide angle then a side shot of what the rear drivers side looks like with it removed:

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

Closer inside the fender wells:

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

Apparently these things will scratch the paint. I may have to pick up some touch up paint and repair this, or not, it doesn't appear to be to the metal.

DSC_0618.jpg

While I'm at it, I'm going to hit the front grill with some of the gloss paint as well, the front trim and grill were actually much easier to remove than the fender trim.

DSC_0619.jpg

I'll post more pics as it progresses. In fact, hoping to have some finished pics by late tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Great job of posting the pics with the fenders off...I previously did this same thing to my Ranger but didn't include very much info...:(
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186873

...The Krylon Fusion is the paint to use, and mine has been tested in all kinds of weather...:biggthump

The Krylon Fusion is the paint to use
When I say "word has it", it really translates to "Tbars4 said" LOL.

Ok, a bit of a snag. I can't find any of the Trim Fasteners that I need to reattach the flares locally so I ordered them online. Well to be honest, NAPA had them for a buck a piece, I may be an idiot, but that's WAY too much idiot tax for me. So I should have them by mid week.

I'll probably pull the other 3 today and start getting them prepped for painting. The grill is prepped and drying as I type this, I'll take "before" and "after" pics and post them up in a bit.

...Which fasteners are you looking for???...The ones on the bottom fender edge or the ear clips at the side???...Do you have a pic of them???

...Which fasteners are you looking for???...The ones on the bottom fender edge or the ear clips at the side???...Do you have a pic of them???
Ya the ones on the bottom fender edge, the side clips came of easily. It's no biggie, they were grey, the ones I ordered are black.

Ok, the grill is done. Here are some pics (I know it needs a wash LOL):

Grill_Before.jpg

Grill_After_1.jpg

Grill_After_2.jpg

Grill_Done_1.jpg

Grill_Done_2.jpg

Before:
Ranger_3_4_Test.jpg

After:
Grill_Done_3.jpg

Here's an update:

Got the rear trim done. I think it looks good, but I may take them to a pro and let them do them up smooth gloss black, or not. It *IS* a freakin truck after all ;-).

The Flares, one stock one painted:
Flares_Before_After.jpg

With the back ones done:

Front:
3_4_3.jpg

Port:
Port.jpg

Starboard:
Starboard.jpg

I guess I'll do the front flares this weekend, remove the front trim and drop it off to have the light bar, winch box and front skid plate welded. Then all of that off for gloss black powder coating. That should be good for a while LOL.

Online where?

When I say "word has it", it really translates to "Tbars4 said" LOL.

Ok, a bit of a snag. I can't find any of the Trim Fasteners that I need to reattach the flares locally so I ordered them online. Well to be honest, NAPA had them for a buck a piece, I may be an idiot, but that's WAY too much idiot tax for me. So I should have them by mid week.

I'll probably pull the other 3 today and start getting them prepped for painting. The grill is prepped and drying as I type this, I'll take "before" and "after" pics and post them up in a bit.

I see you said you ordered them online would you mind letting me know where you got them from? this is the big hangup for me also. Thnk you.

I see you said you ordered them online would you mind letting me know where you got them from? this is the big hangup for me also. Thnk you.
Sorry man, I just saw your question. I ordered them from The Fastener Warehouse

TR 219B - Bulk Pak / 100pcs. Ford
Code: TR 219B
Price: 22.40
Quantity: 1
Subtotal: 22.40

Oh and an update. It's been raining here for about 2 weeks straight. I can't decide if I want to spend the weekend doing the rest of the trim, or hitting the mud holes LOL.

Pulled the front fender flares and front bumper trim, obligatory pics follow.

I'll paint the front fender flares the same as I did the rears.

Tomorrow I'll go by my bud's to discuss winch box and front light bar. The plan is to cut the sides off the bumper (the 4 slots tab on each side that holds the front trim on), have it stripped and powder coated black.

Though I'm going with a prerunner type build, it's also a 4x4 trail runner so a winch is a MUST in these parts.

Anyway, on to the pics.

NoFrontTrimStarboard.jpg

NoFrontTrimStarboardClose.jpg

NoFrontTrimPort.jpg

NoFrontTrimPortClose.jpg

FrontnoTrim.jpg

quick question for you.

my fender trim/flares gets a little faded/chaulky looking and after every wash i usually touched the flares up with some armoral/tire dressing.

it will probably be impossible to get any sort of paint to stick now right?

my fender trim/flares gets a little faded/chaulky looking and after every wash i usually touched the flares up with some armoral/tire dressing.

it will probably be impossible to get any sort of paint to stick now right?
I doubt the armor all will be much of an issue. After I removed these, they took a long hot soapy bath in our spare bathroom. Then I worked them over pretty well with a sponge. If nothing else, you could use some fine sandpaper or steel wool to scuff them up, that would help the paint adhere. Again, I doubt you would have any problems, this paint is pretty resilient.

Well, the fender flares are done and I spoke with someone that's going to do the winch box, light rail and skid plate for me. Things are moving forward.

Pics of the flares done:

FrontFlaresDoneSB.jpg

FrontFlaresDoneSBclose.jpg

FrontFlaresDonePT.jpg

FrontFlaresDonePTclose.jpg

Obligatory family pic LOL:

FamilyPic.jpg

Back