Replacing PCV Valve Grommet... Can't get to it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing PCV Valve Grommet... Can't get to it

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
I managed to replace my PCV valve, no problem there. But the grommet is a different story. Does anyone have any tricks to getting the old one out? I can't seem to get enough grip on it, plus there appears to be either a gas line or some vacuum hose right on top of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't help much with getting them out... I used to install some grommets on fuel tanks back in my early days at Ford, so I learned a few great ways to fold a grommet so that it pops into the hole... getting them out, not so much...

For the task at hand, maybe try a good pair of needle-nose pliers?

-Joe

Damn... I can only get 1 finger to actually touch the grommet. And to be able to guide the needle noses plies, I'd need two hands in there... or to actually be able to visually see the grommet. I'll give it another shot another day.

I can't help much with getting them out... I used to install some grommets on fuel tanks back in my early days at Ford, so I learned a few great ways to fold a grommet so that it pops into the hole... getting them out, not so much...

For the task at hand, maybe try a good pair of needle-nose pliers?

-Joe

Would you mind sharing how to fold them? I cant figure it out

Would you mind sharing how to fold them? I cant figure it out
You pinch them into a U shape, then the OD is smaller than the hole.

Back