• Register Today It's free!

Replacing PCV valve

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
1997 with SOHC: I found the PCV. I removed the upper "T" but I can't get the valve out of the hose. I can't get both hands down there. Do I just remove the lower hose? I can't see where it is connected. I'm afraid of disconnecting it and then not being able to re-connect it. Any experience you can share?

FYI: The free replacement at the dealer's does not apply to California!

The valve is strapped to the engine by a black zip-tie kind of retainer (flexible plastic). You're gonna have to get this disengaged first (DON'T cut it, just open it), then pull the valve up and pop it out of the lower hose. You might wanna take the plastic cover off the engine before you start anything (for more room), and stand on a stool or something for better visibility. Good lighting also helps... I changed mine in just a few seconds a couple of months ago, but you have to be able to see what you're doing first. :)

Thanks 762. I got that far but it just won't budge out of the hose. I'm worried that I'll pull it out and then won't be able to re-connect it. I guess trying some WD-40 might help. Thanks again for responding. Wish me luck. I'm gonna try later this week. Going off to see Star Wars!

where is the pcv valve. I can't seem to find it in my 97 4.9 SOHC
-Thanks, David

Back