Replacing Ranger Clutch Master Cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Ranger Clutch Master Cylinder

PHS

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger
Hi All,

I just joined this site this morning after a frustrating evening of replacing the clutch master cylinder and not having any pressure in the system because of air in the lines.

I searched through and read a bunch of threads about others having problems bleeding the system too so I wanted to pass along what worked for me.

Bench bleeding the master cylinder before installation probably would've worked well but I already had the new one installed and I wasn't exactly sure how to bench bleed it anyway :). One thing I found out today is that the cylinder needs to be upside down (hoses up, opposite of the installed position) in order for the air to effectively be expelled (I guess that's obvious once I figured it out :) ).

With that in mind, once the hoses are connected to the slave cylinder and the reservoir, you can push the cylinder into the pedal compartment but don't connect it up. Hold it with the push rod down and by hand go through the bleeding process. You to wrap the end of the push rod or it hurts your hand. The air should expel very quickly and then connect it to the clutch pedal.

Unfortunately I had to do all this by myself and got a little creative. I took off the wheel and the wheel well so that I had clear access to the tranny and master cylinder. Laying on the ground with my head facing towards the front and the master cylinder out in the engine compartment. I was able to hold the cylinder up side down (hoses up) and pull down with my right arm to acuate the cylinder and operate the bleeder valve with my left hand. Took and little while to get that stuff apart but once I got it taken apart it was very easy and the air came flying out immediately.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to pass that along since I read so many threads about people having problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorer clutch master cyl replace

Good info. I am interested in getting access to the MC and your tip on pulling the wheel and innes well is very helpful. I will give my' report " after I am back on the road. HAPPY NEW YEAR

so heres the problem im having... i just replaced the clutch cylinder and hooked the whole thing up and have been trying to bleed it through the slave cylinder. still no pressure after a couple hours of working at it. i didnt fill anything until after it was all hooked up. do i have to take stuff back apart to bleed it or (i've also heard) will letting it sit overnight(which is what im doing because me and the guy couldnt take the cold anymore and it was nighttime) allow some of the bubbles to escape out through the reservoir.

please help cuz i need my truck for work

draconis_kaiden@hotmail.com

In the Ford service manual there is a special note regardung these two parts you are talking about.

I'll see if I can print it out for you and post it

Back