Replacing rear axle bearings, what do I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear axle bearings, what do I need?

wisneski7

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
My explorer has been loud for some time now, infact it sounds as if I have big mud tires and at highway speeds, it just roars. The front hubs/bearings have been replaced previously, so I am thinking its the rear axle shaft bearings. The truck has 145K miles on her so Im sure they are worn. Anyhow, I was going to pick up a couple of Timken bearings, but what else is needed, if anything? The local parts store rents an axle shaft bearing puller and install kit.

Aaron

Cross pin keeper bolt
axle bearings
axle seals
diff fluid (have Limited slip? get the friction modifier too)
Brake-kleen
tube of RTV sealant
take a close look at your brake shoes
and your parking brake shoes
and your rotors
Does that install kit have the right drivers to get the bearing and seal in place without damage?

Cross pin keeper bolt
axle bearings
axle seals
diff fluid (have Limited slip? get the friction modifier too)
Brake-kleen
tube of RTV sealant
take a close look at your brake shoes
and your parking brake shoes
and your rotors
Does that install kit have the right drivers to get the bearing and seal in place without damage?

I already have the fluid/gasket, RTV, new brakes were recently installed, parking brake shoes are waiting to be installed, and yes, the kit has a number of sized drivers for the install. How straight forward of a job is this? Is there any guides online?
Aaron

Back