replacing rear door speaker grills | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing rear door speaker grills

turbo2ltr

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Police Interceptor
At some point I realized my FPIU has rear speakers, but the OEM door panels don't have any speaker grills. Anyone ever replaced the grills? Can you replace just the grill part or did you have to replace the whole door panel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oops..sorry. Yes those panels pop out and the speaker grill should be behind them.

I'm pretty sure they are plastic welded together. I just bought a set of rear door panels off eBay from a 15 explorer. At a fairly good deal of $205 for both. The PUI doors panels have small markings on it that i think is for drilling your own holes.

.......... The PUI doors panels have small markings on it that i think is for drilling your own holes.
I believe a member here did exactly that.

Peter

Mine has speaker grills back there already. I guess that's another part of the Interior Upgrade Package. As an aside, it turns out it does NOT have the big accessory feed harness that would normally be under the console mounting plate. I guess they figure if you want the full retail console, you're not going to be using the harness...

I wondered this as well on my 14 PIU...speakers are there but no grilles. I actually need a speaker too as the passenger side is not there.

I used a Dremel to open up the holes to match the circle pattern molded into the back of the panel. Attached some speaker grill cloth ( available at fabric stores or audio retailers) to the back of the panel to cover the holes. Looks almost stock-

I used a Dremel to open up the holes to match the circle pattern molded into the back of the panel. Attached some speaker grill cloth ( available at fabric stores or audio retailers) to the back of the panel to cover the holes. Looks almost stock-
Pictures??

I will try to get some pics tomorrow- unfortunately the panels are installed in the car , I didn't take any in-process pics.

Took some pics today but can't figure out how to upload them to the forum- tried search feature with no luck. Any ideas?

Took some pics today but can't figure out how to upload them to the forum- tried search feature with no luck. Any ideas?

You can buy an elite explorer membership ($20/yr) which will allow you to upload pics straight to the forum server or you can upload to an external image hosting website (eg imgur) and post the link here.

There might be another way by using the "Image" icon in a post next to the 'Smiley'. I've never tried it since I've always had the Elite Explorer membership but I've seen several pictures posted by non Elite members that don't have a link in their post.

Peter

There might be another way by using the "Image" icon in a post next to the 'Smiley'. I've never tried it since I've always had the Elite Explorer membership but I've seen several pictures posted by non Elite members that don't have a link in their post.

Peter

Wait so I didn't have to spend 20 bucks to upload those 2 pics 3 months ago??

Oh well, at least I have no ads!

Wait so I didn't have to spend 20 bucks to upload those 2 pics 3 months ago??

Oh well, at least I have no ads!
Only those pictures posted using "Upload a File" are saved to the Forum's servers. Others could disappear without notice as happened with those that used Photobucket before they changed their policy.

Peter

Only those pictures posted using "Upload a File" are saved to the Forum's servers. Others could disappear without notice as happened with those that used Photobucket before they changed their policy.

Peter

I'm definitely derailing this thread, but I remember it not working for some reason so I just bought an Elite sub. Much easier. Its a real bummer to look through old posts and there's no pics because most of them were on photobucket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It works the same way it has for years and the same way most other sites on the internet work. Images have to be hosted somewhere, either on the site or at another site, then you use [*img] insert URL of your image between these html tags [/img*] to display the image within your post. Remove *'s from img tags.

If you use imgur to host your images, there are a bunch of different links to choose from to post your images. You can also use Flickr or any other image hosting site.

Back