• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear hatch/5th door

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
My back door bent when i had to force it open after the hydraulic rod failed and had to prop it open with a stick. Now the door does not close well anymore and i think i need to just replace it. Too much damage on it. Will a 2nd gen rear door fit? It looks the same.

Yes, a second gen door will work....

Some modification to the wiring is required though.

Ok here is a run down of the differences;

'91-'94 hatch to a '95-'97 is a direct fit' however the differences are obviusly the 3rd brake light and window sprayer but also totaly different wiring harnesses the older one has smaller harnesses on each side where the newer has 1 big one on the drivers side and the plugs are totally different so some holes are going to have to be drilled and the hanesses swaped to make it work (no big deal)

'91-'94 to a '98-'02 will bolt on and will have simular problems with the harness but also the taillight openings are totaly different

-'97 tails will not fit the '98+ hatch and '95+ tails will not fit -'94 quarter panels

I'm currently in the process of putting a '94 hatch on my '97 but am shaving everything so none of this is an issue for me.

Back