replacing rockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing rockers

well if any of you have seen some of my other post, what started off by me putting fog lights into my steel stock 98 bumper, has now turned into a complete paint job, thankfully i know how to do bodywork (don't do it for a living, just do it on the side), and that's what has saved me a ton of $$$

this kinda started off last year when a deer wanted to customize the side of my truck (they had to replace the fender, door, mirror, and fix the rear quarter panel. the little bugger almost wrote it off). i asked how much to paint the truck, they told me i should come and take a look at what they found under the ground effects. there was a rust hole there. not too bad, but there. i didn't bother with it, and said i would fix it later. well that day came. i parted out a 4 door in the spring, and cut the rockers off it knowing one day i would need them. when i finished my bumpers, i was going to paint them the same color of the truck, and pull the ground effects off and do the same until i saw this :eek:

this is the good side

2qdwwuf.jpg

the bad side

33my2b5.jpg

two words came to mind. for sale, and controlled fire!

so, i grabbed the rockers that i had saved and started.

i don't have pictures of how to prep them. all you have to do is find the factory spot welds, drill it with a 1/8 drill bit, then a 1/4 bit (and trust me, it seems like there was a million of them). you don't need a bunch of fancy tools for this part. just a drill, drill bits, a hammer, and a chisel. the reason for the hammer and chisel is that when you are done drilling the spot welds out, you will have to separate the two metals that are joined. if you do it right, you will hardly have to use a hammer, you can just pry them apart.

once they are prepped, you now walk up to your truck with you favorite cutting tool (mine was a sexy 1/2 angle grinder with a zippy cut disk) and start cutting.

because i wanted to make sure i got all the rust out, i cut just below the pinch weld, where the floor, and inner rocker met.

2e1eqeg.jpg

after that, i took the inner from my parts truck, cut it to fit, then used sheet metal screws to hold it in place. the reason why you don't start welding is this. you want to make sure anything else you put on after it will line up. it is easier to take out a few screws, rather then grind out welds. that and, when you do go to weld, the screws will hold it nice and close to the metal that you are welding to.

foq642.jpg

because the rockers i had are from a four door, i had plenty of room for error. i purposely set the inner back by about half inch so when i went to weld the outer rocker on, the factory spot welds would be staggered, and i could make my plug welds with ease. also, because the rockers from a two door, and a four door are different, i did have to some small modification to make them fit. i had to weld the back part of the rocker to the front ( if you open your rear doors on a four door, the seam is there, on a two door, the seam is further up the rocker, no big deal).

i now took the outer rocker panel, and fit it on. it looked good, so i put a few screws in as a reference point, pulled it back off, and started welding on the inner, then put the outer back on, and started welding it. if you have a four door, you can skip this step. if you have a two door, you may need to put a small filler in to take up some of the gap left behind due to where the rear doors would have been.

10r0qjl.jpg

2rordhs.jpg

2ykhmpe.jpg

4pxreq.jpg

20fxf1i.jpg

when you are done welding, grab your grinder once again, and grind all your welds down.

28cm06o.jpg

1550xo8.jpg

i had to do the same for the passengers side. here's the pictures

2i7y6mu.jpg

50qog1.jpg

2pzierr.jpg

6du491.jpg

145p3n.jpg

vxojn9.jpg

zso84o.jpg

j7fgq0.jpg

2j6akra.jpg

2dqoiyu.jpg

32zt75t.jpg

2n7guw5.jpg

6ef5me.jpg

1yquk6.jpg

14ccf4i.jpg

2a9ci7t.jpg

wtdbhw.jpg

3025g06.jpg

so there you have it. a crash coarse on how to replace rocker panels. if you are looking for a idea on how long both side took to do, you can count on it taking maybe about 10 to 16 hours depending on how bad they are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the write up.. yeah mine are just as bad as yours, but stops halfway up the door. i really need to get up off my rear end and go to a yard and cut out some rockers. and learn how to weld, or entice my friend who has a welder with subway, thats how i get him to do stuff for me. bring him sandwhiches, good trade off i think.

mig welding isn't that hard. if you go to the junk yard, bring about 6 or 7 saws all blades, and plan to spend a good 2 hours or so to cut them off. the hardest part is around the wheel tubs in the back. there is about four layers that you have to cut. that or see if the yard will cut them for you using a chop saw.

This is cool stuff, I love to see people do work like this themselves. Speaking of that, have you ever thought about putting recesses in your rear bumper like you did the front bumper, and mounting reverse lights in them? I would think you could go with the round lights, or you could just cut a rectangle and put smaller rectangular lights in there. I just had an epiphany and had to share.

Nice work though :thumbsup:

This is cool stuff, I love to see people do work like this themselves. Speaking of that, have you ever thought about putting recesses in your rear bumper like you did the front bumper, and mounting reverse lights in them? I would think you could go with the round lights, or you could just cut a rectangle and put smaller rectangular lights in there. I just had an epiphany and had to share.

Nice work though :thumbsup:

nope, going to try and make a roll pan. if i do, and i succeed, i will be posting that as well.

btw, thanks for the complement

oh yes, that's what you do. i cut it about 8 inches about the rocker in the wheel well, then about 3 inches above the rocker on the "b" pillar, and about the same at the "a" pillar, then i cut the floor about two inches away from the rocker. i had to take the fender off, but not the doors. then when it is off and at home, that's when you start drilling spot welds. if you look at picture 7, you can see the inner and outer rocker laying on the floor.

yeah thats what i was planning on doing. a friend of mine has a cordless sawz-all with 3 extra batteries, he told me i could use it if i bought a box of demolition blades. now i just need to get up there, im completely lazy.

Back