• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Shocks... 2002 XLT.

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 2002 XLT and its pretty squeaky and bouncy in the ass end.

One of my friends was driving behind me and said man your rear shocks are SHOT, you need to replace them. I already knew this but I was trying to put it off.

Anyway what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I said it into a shop or is it pretty easy to do yourself?

I see Rock Auto has Monroe Sensa-Trac easy ones for around $140.00 but do you have to deal with re-aligning anything in the rear or is it pretty straight forward?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty straight forward, and btw theyre struts not shocks

again those are shocks, you have struts, not much difference. you will have 3 small nuts on the top side and one big one in the middle. if your new struts dont come with new springs, you will need a spring compressor
Strut:
middle.jpg

Shock:
RSX.jpg

Get the entire quick-strut assembly...the coil springs on the 2002 are prone to breaking, so it is inadvisable to reuse them.

There are some "quick-strut assemblies" that work well, although you seem to get a lift out of it. This thread may help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273688&highlight=Monroe

Not to be all technical about it but they are not struts they are in fact coil over shocks as this gets discussed every now and then.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270461&highlight=Monroe&page=2

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Technically the '02+ Explorers use a coil-over design, as a strut is a shock and coil spring mounted together in a coil-over setup that also has the role of locating and guiding the suspension hardware throughout the suspension movement designated to the shock, typically replacing the upper A-arm in an independent suspension setup. A standard coil-over setup, as our Explorers have, only controls ride height and cushions the suspension movement, leaving the suspension hardware locating and guiding to other separate hardware pieces (in our case upper and lower A-arms).

A strut is a simple and common way to refer to what our trucks have, though it is not 100% accurate.

Tom

A part is really defined by what it does not what it looks like and by definition a strut not only dampens the spring but also needs to have the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression, not the case in the Explorer

Its all good though I call them struts too :)

Well, thanks for the info. Looks pretty straight forward. Probably going to go with the Monroe's. My previous car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo and I know how some of those things sent off to China to be copied can turn out LOL!

Think I'd rather spend the extra money and know I have a quality part.

im in the same boat as you. i found a set for about $55 here

autopartswherehouse.com

Well, thanks for the info. Looks pretty straight forward. Probably going to go with the Monroe's. My previous car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo and I know how some of those things sent off to China to be copied can turn out LOL!

Think I'd rather spend the extra money and know I have a quality part.

Monroe has a buy 3, get 1 free rebate offer going right now, too.

Sears has a free install w/ the purchase of monroe or rancho deal going on.

Oh really... I wonder how much they charge for them. I can get them for $136 locally for the quicks.

What size sockets or wrenches do I need to replace the rear struts on a 2002 XLT for the lower bolt?

I have no idea what size they are and Google isn't helping. I'm about to go pick up the struts now and I gotta get either some sockets or wrenches that large too.

Thanks! :)

What size sockets or wrenches do I need to replace the rear struts on a 2002 XLT for the lower bolt?

I have no idea what size they are and Google isn't helping. I'm about to go pick up the struts now and I gotta get either some sockets or wrenches that large too.

7/8 or 15/16 comes to mind.

So, how did things finally come out? What size wrenches did you need? Which brand of strut or strut assembly shock did you buy? How long did it take you? Would you now advise doing it yourself or would you rather just pay the money to have like sears or someone else do it ?? How's the ride now ? Thanks !

So, how did things finally come out? What size wrenches did you need? Which brand of strut or strut assembly shock did you buy? How long did it take you? Would you now advise doing it yourself or would you rather just pay the money to have like sears or someone else do it ?? How's the ride now ? Thanks !

It is all is what you are comfortable in doing. I had very little issue swapping all four corners on mine, and that included compressing each spring and pulling assemblies apart to "build" my new assemblies with new shocks and lowering springs. However, if you are uncomfortable pulling the suspension apart, you should probably leave it a shop.

It is all is what you are comfortable in doing. I had very little issue swapping all four corners on mine, and that included compressing each spring and pulling assemblies apart to "build" my new assemblies with new shocks and lowering springs. However, if you are uncomfortable pulling the suspension apart, you should probably leave it a shop.

What struts and springs did you go with? Seems like everyone around here slaps on the sensatrac quickstruts and calls it good, though I've heard the Reflex struts are better for truck duties.

What struts and springs did you go with? Seems like everyone around here slaps on the sensatrac quickstruts and calls it good, though I've heard the Reflex struts are better for truck duties.

Ground Force springs with Monroe Reflex shocks. I was considering KYB shocks, but have never really been pleased with the rebound on any of them I have had...and it is an SUV which will never be pushed that far anyway. I am very happy with the ride it has now.

Ground Force springs with Monroe Reflex shocks. I was considering KYB shocks, but have never really been pleased with the rebound on any of them I have had...and it is an SUV which will never be pushed that far anyway. I am very happy with the ride it has now.
So just to make sure that I am getting this straight, the cartridges for the coil over/strut/shocks, can be replaced separately? I have been reading up on this, and getting conflicting information. The coils on mine have already been replaced due to the originals snapping, so I only need the cartridges.

Thank you.

technically you don't call them struts, they are coil over shocks or simply "coil overs", if you are a car salesman "struts","shocks" doesn't matter just a regular guy selling parts..
buying the quick struts (coil and shocks as an assembly) is the faster route since you don't need a spring compressor to swap the parts over. don't know how much you'll save going this route, I bought struttek before which is around $130 for both rears and it's an easy swap in.
here's where "struts" and "coil overs" differ, with "struts" you are required to have an alignment after, with "coil overs" it's optional (as long as your control arms are aligned properly)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with a complete set of KYB's.

30if4wg.jpg

But if that is too costly you can rent a spring compressor from AutoZone and keep your old springs.

zn3cyo.jpg

As you can see it's much cheaper to keep your old springs, but it's a lot more work.

Back