Replacing the dash console indicator module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the dash console indicator module

intheric

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
Happy Sunday everyone.

so I finally got my replacement indicator part in the mail. I’ve taken the dash apart and the unit out to replace the module, but now I can’t figure out where it goes.

the old one broke at the spring in the mod itself and the wire came loose, so I wasn’t able to trace its path. Do I need to drop the column to get more room. If so, how’s that done? I’ve seen a video before but can’t find it now.

thanks!!

"Dash console indicator"... ? Are you talking about the PRNDL gear indicator part?

You have to remove the instrument cluster to replace the indicator piece (if you haven't figured that out already). The new cable just goes down the left side of the steering column. As I recall there's no specific hole for it, it just goes where it will fit. Once the cable is poking out under the dash (lower dash knee trim panel and metal reinforcement plate removed) there's a place on the right side underneath the cast aluminum part of the steering column where a screw holds the plastic bracket to the column. Then there's a hook-like part which moves with the gear shift lever that you hook the thin wire cable end on. The thumb wheel on the plastic cable bracket allows you to adjust the pointer on the PRNDL indicator so that it points directly/centered at the gear your in.

Thank you. I figured it out. And made up some new words while at it lol.

Back