Replacing the front wheel bearing/hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the front wheel bearing/hub

Popeye1959

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Silverado LS
I need to replace the front wheel bearing/hub on my '03 Exp Sport. It's pretty straight forward (I watched a video). AutoZone parts and Advance Auto parts are pretty expensive. I see AM Auto Parts has one for $51.25 with free S/H and 1A Auto has the same thing for $64.95 with free shipping. Are these companies selling reliable parts or are they going to fail a year down the road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't get the cheap bearings. Based on what I've heard on this forum, they are not reliable and you get what you pay for.

RockAuto shows a $44 bearing from "ValuPro", which is probably the same vendor selling at the stores you listed.

If you want to do it right, get a Timken bearing from Rockauto ($100) which is the same as OE. As of a couple years ago, these were still made in the USA. As an alternative if you want local, you can get a Moog/National bearing for about $100+tax from Advance if you use online code "TRT30" when you check out.

The cheap bearings might be ok for a year or two so long as you are careful to properly torque the axle nut and stick to street driving with highway type tires. Generally 165-175 foot pounds depending on the brand. Want it to last longer or drive bad roads, offroad, or any heavy AT or mud tires -- get Timken

Not sure where you see the $100 bearing on Rock Auto. The only front hub/bearing I can find using their dropdown menu is a $172.79 part. I can buy 3 of the cheaper ones for that price. At least with the discount code the cheaper Moog from Advance is $112. Sure glad I’m going to be selling this thing soon. This thing is all stock and never go off roading.

if you're going to get rid of it soon, i wouldn't spend a penny more on it than necessary.

Back