Replacing the GEM on '97 XLT

dantes990

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
For those who don't want the long story, the question I have is:

Can I replace the GEM on my '97 XLT with a GEM from say, a '97 Eddie Bauer or a even a '96 Explorer XLT? Or do I have to find a module from a '97 XLT with the same engine as mine? i.e. Are there GEM's that are interchangeable?

Here's the long backstory:

I have what I think is a funky GEM. The power windows, 4x4, wipers, and interior lights were intermittently not working and now they are all completely dead. I replaced the battery saver, accessory delay, and one touch down relays, but that didn't help. I then started digging in with the help of Alldata and checked voltages at the battery saver and accessory delay relays and it looks like the GEM isn't sending out power to those relays. So I am pretty sure it is the GEM. However...

Another thing worth mentioning is that since buying the truck, my alarm system would randomly go off when armed, so I unplugged one of the connectors on the RAP module. This prevented the alarm from randomly going off (i assume it is a bad sensor somewhere and I unplugged the connector for the alarm sensors) but allowed me to still use my keyless entry.

Around the time my GEM problems started, my power door locks would unlock themselves during the night. I disconnected the ground on my battery to reset whatever computer voodoo goes on in the truck and hooked the RAP module back up. The power door locks started working normally (not unlocking themselves randomly) and my random alarm problems were back.

Because I was sick of disarming the alarm all the time and wanted to work around it like i did before, I tried disconnecting that one RAP module connector, then my alarm started going off ALL the time. Now I have the RAP module completely disconnected (both connectors this time) to prevent the alarm from going off.

So I am not sure how interconnected the RAP module and the GEM are - I know they communicate to some extent. Is it ok to completely disconnect the RAP module? Will the GEM function normally if I do this? I am wondering if the RAP module / alarm problem is tied to my GEM problem or if they are independent. I can live without the alarm and keyless entry, but I need my wipers, and it would be nice to have power windows, interior lights, and 4x4.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've wondered this too- if the GEM needs to be from a truck with the same 4x4 system. Can an AWD GEM be used on a ControlTrac, or can a ControlTrac GEM be used on a regular 4hi, 4lo, 2wd 4x4 system. I got lucky to find a spare GEM from a ControlTrac in the boneyard to shelf, but always wondered this.

bringing back a nightmare for me....

I had a similar issue with mine and I was convinced it was something in the POS aftermarket alarm that was hooked up. The good thing was I was able to remove the alarm from the GEM without too much trouble and restore the system to original.

Hopefully others will chime in, but I dont see how this would be an easy solve with out eliminating the alarm issue. (Assumption) this is an aftermarket alarm.

Solution 2: If the alarm was put in by a company (check for advertising stickers) then go back to them and complain!

I had a similar issue with mine and I was convinced it was something in the POS aftermarket alarm that was hooked up. The good thing was I was able to remove the alarm from the GEM without too much trouble and restore the system to original.

Hopefully others will chime in, but I dont see how this would be an easy solve with out eliminating the alarm issue. (Assumption) this is an aftermarket alarm.

Solution 2: If the alarm was put in by a company (check for advertising stickers) then go back to them and complain!

This is the factory alarm - I am hoping the RAP module is the only thing that does "alarm stuff" and can just be disconnected. I really don't want to have to troubleshoot that nightmare!

gem mod.

ya ive got a 97 eddie bauer ed. explorer control trac w a bad gem mod. and i know wher a 97 control trac 4wd is wit a module i wonder if itd be the same or if it even work if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated if you replied

Back