• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the hood release cable

Millertime1987

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4X4
I was looking for a while but couldn't find it while searching. I have a stretched release cable and found it to be costing around $200 bucks to get the release cable and latch replaced. Anyone know how hard it would be to replace on my own.

I will need to replace both but the cable is a bit more pressing since i don't know how long that will work for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's simple! Well, I guess that is relative to your skills and patience. You have to get a few items out of the way and snake it through the firewall, but it really isn't what I would call technical of difficult.

I need one as well but $200!?!?!?! Whoa!!!

Yeah from what i gather its a kit that includes the latch and cables.

Cobraguy, do you know if there is a writeup on here that i might have missed?

A new cable was only about $40 from the local stealership, and I would just get a latch from the junkyard, you don't really need a new one of those. Replacing the cable only took me about 15 minutes tops. Start by unhooking it from the latch, the remove the 2 bolts that hold the release under the dash, then you just have to pull it through. I cut it as close as I could to the firewall so I didn't have to pull all of it through. Then the new cable goes in, push it through from inside the cabin and just work it through, hook it back up to the latch, and bolt the new release lever in place.

I purchased a replacement cable from the HELP section at the auto parts store. I disconnected the handle under the dash and the hood latch after marking the location with a sharp tool. I cut the old cable then threaded the wire part through the existing sleeve, it helps to put a little vasoline or grease on the wire and a little patience while snaking the wire through the sleeve, took about twenty minutes and 15.00 bucks

bobneu, did it have finished ends at both ends of the cable wire? I'm assuming its a universal kind, how long was it?

I got mine from Ford and it was reasonable. Comes with a new handle and all. Just install and hook to the latch.

X-factor, no both ends were not finished they supply the ends you will need to complete the project. The hood latch is a simple crimp the handle inside is a barrel shape with a screw I suppose if you were so incline you could solder the end into the barrel like the factory. The Ford dealer here in Rockford must think he has to make the rent payment with each sale as I was quoted 140.00 for the cable alone. Then they had to order it which isn't much help when you need to get it back on the road quick as it is a business vehicle as well as being m personal toy,

Well hopefully (knocking on wood) the hood release works along with the alternator till spring so i can do the work myself. I would do it now but with highs topping 15 above 0 this week and for the next 2 months I won't be doing any work outside unless i need to.

Back