Replacing the Positive Battery Cable Connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Positive Battery Cable Connector

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L the positive connection to the battery needs to be replaced. It looks like there is a harness connected to it as well. The cable goes all the way down to the starter. I just changed the starter, I just want to change the connector, or should I change the entire cable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is something called a universal harness, I just have to cut and use wire cutter and crimpers to connect the new harness which comes with a connector...should I go with this?

if the cable is still okay, just replace the metal terminal. replacement universal terminal ends are available at any auto parts store. get the larger one if you have multiple wires to put into one. you can also add an eye connector and attach extra wires to the terminal's clamp bolts

Cut the corroded connector off, strip back some of the wire insulation and see if there's wire un-corroded or that you can clean corrosion off of sufficiently to put a new connector on and still have enough slack to reach the starter.

If there isn't enough slack then you will need either a replacement wire with the connector already on it, or add a connector yourself, or splice in the universal harness. That's my best guess without seeing the situation and no link to the universal harness to know exactly what it is.

If you just need the lug connector then some electronics supply house like digikey, or of course a automobile supply house should have one.

Great info! It's been a nightmare for me. It started with the idle pulley going out, the belt broke off, so I replaced the pulley and belt, my battery went dead I bought a new one, it still would not start, I tested the alternator it was fine, I tested the started and it was not good, so I replaced it, now I notice the corrosion has eaten away at my positive connection. So that's where I'm at right now, please tell me if I missed anything.

I replaced terminal on the positive cable to my battery and it started!!!
Finally!!! But now I've notice the steering column shakes when I turn, what could it be?

I guess you have some air in the system...do a few lock to lock turns of the steering wheel, that is all you have to do bleed the air out.

Those bolt on terminals are notorious for causing trouble. They work fine as a temporary fix but remember this post that cold day you turn the key and everything goes dark. The patch cable with the crimp is marginally better but still temporary. Best bet is suck it up and spring for the full cable and the associated PIA labor to install it.

Bill

Back