• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Radio Antenna

DOPR-Dragon

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, Explorer XLT 4x4.
As part of my JP build, I need to remove the radio antenna and replace it, but from what I can tell, there's no way I can get at it without removing the blower, or taking the entire dashboard apart.

Is there an easier way to get at the mount that I'm not seeing, or is it as hard as it looks?

It is as hard as it looks if you are going to do it right because you are going to be making your own dash to be screen faithful. Right?Right?. If you are going to be moving the antenna to be mounted (and function) on the right mirror, and running a spot light that gets mounted in antenna's place, it's probably going to be easier with the dash out of the way.If you really really really don't want to mess with 20+ year old plastic ( I understand) I believe you can take off the front right quarter panel/ fender, and then circular saw your way through for access. I've never seen this done before, but it is how I intended to do it when considering moving my antenna. The only other way is MAYBE taking off your hood and trying to angle a tool through the mount hole? I'm not sure about that though.

Tip: If you do get access via the circular saw, tie your antenna cable to the spotlight wiring AND an extra length of wire. That way you can pull the spot wiring in with the antenna cable, and pull the antenna cable back out to leave there in case you want to more easily mount the antenna again in the future. sparednoexpense

Back