Replacing the Transfer Shift Control Module - Insight Appreciated! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Transfer Shift Control Module - Insight Appreciated!

redhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger
Hello,

I hope this post finds everyone well!

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac that is not engaging into 4x4. A local auto shop replaced the motor to no avail so we purchased a new transfer control shift module.

I initially thought that the module was behind the glove box (like the 02) but it turns out that it isn't...

Also, in reading other information, I may have to download module configuration information (twice?) into the new module...which is leaving me confused because other sources state that it isn't necessary.

So - can anyone help me locate the module and confirm if programming needs to be done?

Also - is it certain that lights should come on the dash when it's engaged?

Any insight would be very appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The module is behind the glove box (actually behind on the right side). Try unplugging it and cleaning the contacts and plug it back in. Most people say that the connection gets bad.

I don't think any programming is required if you need to replace the module.

Sport Trac memory is getting a bit fuzzy after not having one for some time now but....
1- The module behind the glove box is the central security module.
2- 2001 Job 2 4WD modules are behind the right kick panel, as mine was.
2001 Job 1 4WD modules are under the back window on the back cab panel, as verified by JohnRock. You can determine which "Job" model you have by reading the FAQ's sticky at the top of the forum.
Connections are the biggest issues, as Markek mentioned. No programming required IF that's the problem.

Sent you diagnosis by email.

Hey guys - thanks so much for the insight! Swapped out the module and that still didn't fix it...

Indicator lights will come on briefly when truck starts but will not stay on when switched to 4x4 low or high. The module (or relay) will click when switching the knob...

Tested truck and it is still not engaging.

Any thoughts on what to look at next?

Thanks again for your insight as I really don't want to go to a dealer!

Redhill,

Check to see if you are getting power to the motor. Maybe the connection is bad.

Back