Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!!

Okay guys, here are the X-rays....these are the most recent ones, taken this morning....but it doesn't show any healing yet...I have another appointment in 4 weeks...

For now...here are the scanned X-rays...(click on pics to get bigger pic in a new window)

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are you Ryan, I hadn't noticed this thread about the accident? I hope it is going to heal well. I have a coworker who was for some reason helping top fix/repair the underside components of a flat bed tow truck. His forearm was crushed somewhere in there, and he was very lucky to regain most functioning over the next two years.

I understand about the window regulators, that's the one thing I haven't wanted/needed to mess with. I did change my LF window motor at about the same time as your mishap. With it all still in the door nothing really moved, but any spring wound up like that is potentially scary. Please let us know how it goes, take care.

Hang in there.

Aloha, Mark

Bringing this back to the top..

I have an appointment with a surgeon on Thursday. He is going to remove that piece of bone that is sticking out due to the way the scissor assembly came through my thumb..

Ryan

SPDRCER34, I came to the forum today to see if I could find some info on replacing the regulators on my 91XLT. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this, as I would never have known of the danger. My driver and paasenger fronts both crapped out this summer. You probably saved me. Thank You again!

It's good to hear that it is getting better.

Wow, thats pretty harsh. Glad to hear that it will heal. When I replace the regulators I just detach the glass and remove the thing as a whole. I tried to remove the spring once, glad that I never did get it off.....

Okay, I had the appointment with my surgeon today, and this is what he's going to do:

Small incision (1-2cm) in my thumb to cut & break out the offending bone 'spur' that occured when the steel came through my thumb and knocked it to the side.

ANd HOPEFULLY this is what it will look like in a few months:

Ryan

Good, I hope that works and brings you pain free use of that finger.

I hope your surgery proves a full recovery. sorry to hear and I will use a great deal of caution should I ever do a window reg. on an X.

Look on the bright side. You're part way to a cool costume for Halloween! ;)

Mike

That sucks man sorry to hear that, brings back memories of last winter when my friend blew off part of his finger with some gunpowder. Now his middle finger, ring finger, and index fingers are all the same length, and his thumb doesn't bend at the 2nd knuckle.

Just an update...

I had my surgery a few weeks ago, and everything went well.

I got my stitches out last week, and I'm just about all healed up.

When it is all healed up 100% I'll take a picture of it, and post it here....it looks ALMOST normal...

Ryan

When it is all healed up 100% I'll take a picture of it, and post it here....it looks ALMOST normal...

Ryan

..Still waiting on pics..:D....:popcorn:

Ha ha ha, I was too, just forgot about this.

You have full feeling/use?

Four years ago, ouch is the first thing to come to mind, other than this happened four years ago. Hopefully everything turned out good in the end with the thumb working as it was before.

It had to hurt like hell too. Ouch. I've never broken a bone in my life so again, ouch. Good thing I seen this, going to rebuild the driver side power window motor soon and plan on upgrading the rear to 2nd gen. Ouch....

I did a finger nearly like that... LOL, damn, I don't want to admit to this... I was reaching down the chute of my snowblower... Yeah yeah, it was running.... yeah, there's a sticker right there with a cartoon hand missing all it's fingers. Well, at least the vane impact smashed the fingertip away. If I had reached from the other side, it would have been chop city. I'll save my femur story for another day. (Hint: I set off metal detectors, every time!)

To the OP, very glad you had access to good care and therapy. Thumb is a tough one to be without, even for just a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This old thread is not only a good reminder to take your time, also shows why one should get a good pair of mechanics gloves. They would have reduced the injury a bit. Would have probably still broken the thumb, but may not have cut.

It is always those jobs you have done a dozen times that get you.

Back