replacing trans in a 1999 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing trans in a 1999 explorer

mark_k

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how hard it is to change out the auto transmission in a 99 4x4 explorer? I have changed other trans, but standards.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot easier than a Lexus...:D

As with most things, not bad with a lift, air tools, transmission jack, and a torch. Pretty tough without.

Got the lift and the air tools, is there any place to get the directions to do it. Thanks.

there used to be a thread on here, with a link on it on how to do it. i have a pdf file of it if you want, but it is in Swedish (you will have to translate it, i have done it before). it also has pictures and what wrench and socket sizes you'd need. if you want it, i can email you it. just pm me your email addy.

Got them. Thanks. Maybe you guys could help diagnose the problem, before I jump into swappin the trans. While the gal was backing up, she said she heard a bang, and thought she had backed into someone, so she pulled the car forward. After she got out and saw that she hadn't she tried to leave again. When she puts the car in rev, its like its skippin and goin into neutral. There are 90+k miles on it. I think she blew rev gear, but didnt know if it could have been somethin else in these trans, that would be an easy and cheap fix, or if the trans needs to be replaced. Thanks

prob broke the reverse ban. you would still have to pull the trans out however. they arent really hard to replace. i have done one. digging into a trans terrifies me to no end, but a friend of mine owns his own trans shop, and gave me a manual (you can down load them in pdf here as well). once the trans was out of the truck, it took me around 1 1/2 to two hours to rip it apart, and put it back together. i wasnt sure i put something in right, so i tore it down, checked it (turned out i was right) and had it back together in 45 mins.

Back