Replacing water pump and?

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
getting the explorer to the shop.
We will most likely replace the water pump and the radiator that is cracked and leaking lightly on the side
Probably lkq parts
While we are at it, what other factory parts should we replace? Upper and lower radiator hoses? Anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might as well do the thermostat and housing while you are at it.

Check the fan for excessive cracks and the fan clutch for operation. If its original it will probably need to be replaced. You can do the upper and lower radiator hoses if you want but they are probably fine. I'd flush that radiator and the system really well, though.

Personally I would buy the water pump new. They are cheap enough, though I understand getting the radiator from a jy, those can be a bit pricey

I'd definitely get a new pump and radiator if lkq meant used. I'd replace the hoses too since they are only $10 each or so, and may have disintegrated and become damaged when removed if now 18 years old.

I wouldn't touch the thermostat housing if it is not leaking, but would replace it and the thermostat too if it is. Keep in mind that the motorcraft plastic replacement (what you'd get if taking it to a Ford Dealer Shop) is very expensive for what it is, and not particularly durable which is why some have had their factory housing fail when it should have been a good-for-life part.

Many people would opt to replace with a metal aftermarket housing if willing to pay that much. If not willing there are much cheaper plastic ones on Rock Auto, et al.
Details about the metal ones are in one or more topics somewhere in this forum. Here's one of them:

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I'd definitely get a new pump and radiator if lkq meant used. I'd replace the hoses too since they are only $10 each or so, and may have disintegrated and become damaged when removed if now 18 years old.

I wouldn't touch the thermostat housing if it is not leaking, but would replace it and the thermostat too if it is. Keep in mind that the motorcraft plastic replacement (what you'd get if taking it to a Ford Dealer Shop) is very expensive for what it is, and not particularly durable which is why some have had their factory housing fail when it should have been a good-for-life part.

Many people would opt to replace with a metal aftermarket housing if willing to pay that much. If not willing there are much cheaper plastic ones on Rock Auto, et al.
Details about the metal ones are in one or more topics somewhere in this forum. Here's one of them:

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

The OHV t-stat housing in the first gens is an all metal housing, basically a curved pipe with a flange at the end. The hardest part about changing the t-stat in these is holding it in place while you get the housing over it. Ford decided in their infinite wisdom to put it on the front of the engine where it can easily fall out during replacement. Easy solution is to use a little blue RTV to hold it in place before you put the housing on.

^ I looked at his sig which lists a 2000 with the 4.0L SOHC, not the OHV... then his profile has a 2001 XLT w/o any engine reference. Consistency would be nice! :dunno:

I may be misunderstanding, are you suggesting to put a 1st gen OHV 4.0L thermostat housing on a 2nd gen 4.0L SOHC?

Thanks for the input you all
New radiator, fan, hoses, water pump
Runs great again!

Back