• Register Today It's free!

Replacing watershields

offroadtuba

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
After 19 years of use, there are obviously components in the doors that will need a little work. My problem is of course with the 19 year old watershields. They don't come off clean and intact enough to reuse. I'm probably going to replace them with thick plastic and duct tape.

As I was browsing the internet on this subject I read a guy's idea to replace the single watershield with individual ones for each hole on the door. I kind of like this idea, but found nothing like it on this site.

Any thoughts? Would this have any negative effects? I care less about the sound proofing and more about weather proofing and preserving my Ex.

I can't remember where I saw them, but i think you can buy them new.

I figure the factory put them there for a reason, so.. I have thought about using a thin plastic and spray contact cement. The cement sticks to itself when you spray two surfaces. I figure that would be the most factory like seal they had originally and it may keep down on the mess.

I haven't been able to find any new. I'll probably just use plastic. It seems like a popular replacement.

I swear I saw them somewhere, anyway maybe try finding some plastic film with sticky on one side. This is probably all Ford used anyway.

Back