Replacing wheel bearing assy created new issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing wheel bearing assy created new issue

Ultimo

Reaction score
City, State
Calabasas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Had a mild noise emanating from front end on 1998 XLT full time 4X with 250k+ miles. To my knowledge the wheel bearings had never been replaced so I figured that must be it. I replaced both wheel bearing assy's with internet replacements. Easy, straight forward job with no issues.

That is until I backed out of my driveway. Turning the wheel created a shudder. Driving down the street slowly there is a whoop whoop whoop noise. Ugh! Much worse than having done nothing. Internet company swears by there parts and did send me one replacement bearing which didn't help.

Anyone have this experience before? Any idea what it might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This probably isn't much help but did you check to make sure everything was tightened down?

My only experience with a similar noise was on a different vehicle after replacing hub bearings. I put the axle nuts on but didn't tighten them yet. I moved on to another part of the car and I had forgotten about coming back to them. When I went around the block I heard it.

Iirc the axle nuts on these take a decent amount of torque. The specs are on this site.

While installing your new wheel bearings you introduced air into the power steering system. You need to purge it out. Drive slowly in a parking lot while turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock doing figure-8's.

I wish a had a dollar for every time i've read about this issue. This happens every time the wheels are turned with the engine off.

Heh. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I posted "Koda is correct." :D
Do the figure 8's then top off the reservoir and you should be fine.

This probably isn't much help but did you check to make sure everything was tightened down?

My only experience with a similar noise was on a different vehicle after replacing hub bearings. I put the axle nuts on but didn't tighten them yet. I moved on to another part of the car and I had forgotten about coming back to them. When I went around the block I heard it.

Iirc the axle nuts on these take a decent amount of torque. The specs are on this site.

Thanks DS. I was sure that I torqued everything correctly. I changed each wheel twice. At that point I figured it was something simple and not directly related to the wheel bearing assemblys. Koda was correct.

While installing your new wheel bearings you introduced air into the power steering system. You need to purge it out. Drive slowly in a parking lot while turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock doing figure-8's.

I wish a had a dollar for every time i've read about this issue. This happens every time the wheels are turned with the engine off.

It worked! Brilliant! Both you and your advice ;-)) Thanks for your help and advice.

By the way, the wheel bearing assemblies didn't solve my original issue. I still have a low frequency rotating noise. The vehicle has 273,000 miles and has given great service. CV joints? What do you think? Are my wheels going to fall off if I do nothing?

Heh. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I posted "Koda is correct." :D
Do the figure 8's then top off the reservoir and you should be fine.

Chef Duane, apparently those guys in Plano know what they're talking about! ;-)) Thanks for the reassurance that "Koda is correct."

By the way, as I wrote to Koda, the wheel bearing assemblies didn't solve my original issue. I still have a low frequency rotating noise. The vehicle has 273,000 miles and has given great service. CV joints? What do you think? Are my wheels going to fall off if I do nothing?

Chef Duane, apparently those guys in Plano know what they're talking about! ;-)) Thanks for the reassurance that "Koda is correct."

By the way, as I wrote to Koda, the wheel bearing assemblies didn't solve my original issue. I still have a low frequency rotating noise. The vehicle has 273,000 miles and has given great service. CV joints? What do you think? Are my wheels going to fall off if I do nothing?

You could try removing the front drive shaft and go for a short ride to see if the noise goes away.

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. Might be a few weeks. Had hand surgery and have a 10 day vacation starting next Saturday.

I thought for sure it would be air in the power steering :D

Back