Replacment PCM/Engine/Vehicle Main Computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacment PCM/Engine/Vehicle Main Computer

CalifLove

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello all,

Wondering if the "computer" that gets reprogrammed with SCT or LMS tuners and the like is a unit that is physically replaceable. I am thinking not since I cannot locate any vendors that sell new or used "computers" for the vehicle but just figured I would ask.

If you are talking about your vehicles PCM, then yes you can replace a PCM. The PCM is can also be called the ECM or ECU. Either way its the computer that controls most of the vehicle in most cases, especially the engine.

What are you looking to accomplish?

If you are talking about your vehicles PCM, then yes you can replace a PCM. The PCM is can also be called the ECM or ECU. Either way its the computer that controls most of the vehicle in most cases, especially the engine.

What are you looking to accomplish?

Just curious if it was possible in these vehicles. On an older vehicle I had 2 PCM's, 1 that was tuned/reprogrammed and the original I kept stock. Was asking really just to know if it may be an option to purchase a 2nd one to do the same thing with - keep 1 stock and 1 modified.

Just curious if it was possible in these vehicles. On an older vehicle I had 2 PCM's, 1 that was tuned/reprogrammed and the original I kept stock. Was asking really just to know if it may be an option to purchase a 2nd one to do the same thing with - keep 1 stock and 1 modified.

I am sure it is possible, but likely more difficult than it was in the past. The vehicle immobilizer is usually tied to the ECU, and usually only allows 1 ECU to be coded to a vehicle (keys) at a time. In all likelihood there would be some programming required to go back and forth between ECU's. I can't say for certain that this is the case on the Explorer, but it is on many newer cars.

Back