Reprogram Engine cooling fans to operate on lower temps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogram Engine cooling fans to operate on lower temps

Black Eyed

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2015 base model
i'm having an issue with my Ford Explorer 2015

i'm living in hot area and my engine cooling fans won't operate on high speed until the outside temp reach 44c - 111F

at the day i can hear the cooling fans running on high temp but at the night no which effect my A/C performance.

Any way to reprogram the fans using forscan ?

Regards.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is probably an Engine PCM tuning thing, not in the As-built data. Also, do you mean that your A/C is ok in day time when the fans run at high speed? Because in night time, the A/C should be ok even with reduced fan speed. Your Expolrer is a 2015, so should still be under warranty, maybe take it to your dealer for service. I know from 2 Explorers (2012 & 2013) in Qatar both have very good A/C at the night. The problem should be in the day time when it is very hot & parked under the sun.

Unlikely with the ABD in the PCM, which is what FORScan can manipulate.

As omar stated, your better bet is to return to your dealer and see if there is an updated calibration for your PCM or other concern.

I wonder if it's also really an HVAC concern, as the sunload sensor (not sure if your base model has one) is detecting a lower level of light hitting the cabin at night, and then somewhat 'derating' the A/C for efficiency reasons. On that thought, see if there is an HVAC calibration update as well.

It is probably an Engine PCM tuning thing, not in the As-built data. Also, do you mean that your A/C is ok in day time when the fans run at high speed? Because in night time, the A/C should be ok even with reduced fan speed. Your Expolrer is a 2015, so should still be under warranty, maybe take it to your dealer for service. I know from 2 Explorers (2012 & 2013) in Qatar both have very good A/C at the night. The problem should be in the day time when it is very hot & parked under the sun.

My A/C not ok even in Day until the outside temp reach around 111F so the high speed engine fans kick in.

I'm wondering, i see other explorers in the street even at night, i can hear their engine fans are running on high speed while mine is not.

Then you have a problem, check with the dealer since it is under warranty.

Unlikely with the ABD in the PCM, which is what FORScan can manipulate.

As omar stated, your better bet is to return to your dealer and see if there is an updated calibration for your PCM or other concern.

I wonder if it's also really an HVAC concern, as the sunload sensor (not sure if your base model has one) is detecting a lower level of light hitting the cabin at night, and then somewhat 'derating' the A/C for efficiency reasons. On that thought, see if there is an HVAC calibration update as well.

This is what i'm thinking, i will go to the dealer. even if the A/C is ok i want them to check the engine fans.

is it possible that because i changed my front Grill to Police version which has more vent?

2014-02-28_213049.jpg

I doubt the grille will make much of a difference. All of the grille designs are fairly open, up to and until the point where the grille shutters close when the extra flow isn't necessary and just serves to create drag.

This is what i'm thinking, i will go to the dealer. even if the A/C is ok i want them to check the engine fans.
is it possible that because i changed my front Grill to Police version which has more vent?

My understanding is that there were no grille shutters for 2015 models, so this should not affect your situation. But, maybe during the grille change some connector was not re-installed correctly. I'd suggest you go through all the connectors. Makes sure the fan connectors are good & the outside temperature is also connected. Also, did you check if both fans are running or only one?

My understanding is that there were no grille shutters for 2015 models, so this should not affect your situation.
That is correct. Active Grille Shutters were introduced on the 2016+ Explorers but not on all of them.

Peter

My understanding is that there were no grille shutters for 2015 models, so this should not affect your situation. But, maybe during the grille change some connector was not re-installed correctly. I'd suggest you go through all the connectors. Makes sure the fan connectors are good & the outside temperature is also connected. Also, did you check if both fans are running or only one?

I did install the grill by my self, there is no connectors behind the grill or any way near the grill. both fans are running ok and also outside temp connector is working fine.

i can hear the fans running on high only of the weather was very hot. which prove there is nothing wrong with the connectors or the fans.

Did the issue only happen after the grille was installed? If yes, try to return to stock & see. If the issue was there from before, then check with the dealer. Sorry I am out of other ideas.
Note: on the Edge/MKX, the fans run on full speed at about 34-36C, which in my opinion, is a little low!

Did the issue only happen after the grille was installed? If yes, try to return to stock & see. If the issue was there from before, then check with the dealer. Sorry I am out of other ideas.
Note: on the Edge/MKX, the fans run on full speed at about 34-36C, which in my opinion, is a little low!

I can't remember because i did install it since long time ago, but i will install the stock one then i will see.

thank you for your help.

Back