Reprogram SOHC PCM to OHV ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogram SOHC PCM to OHV ?

voivod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey guys,
i just got back from the stealership, after tons of things that they supposedly changed ... now they say the PCM on my 2000 OHV is actually of an SOHC !
how could that be possible ?
maybe the guy i bought the car from changed it without knowing ?! (bought it 2nd hand)

So i was wondering if its possible to reprogram the sohc pcm that i got to an OHV using a CD that the stealership have which has all the necessary info? instead of just buying a new pcm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it would cost more to reprogram then to buy another pcm

pcm that i got to an OHV using a CD that the stealership have which has all the necessary info? instead of just buying a new pcm.

There are changes in wiring pin location and function that would not allow you to use a SOHC computer attached to a OHV wiring harness.

Why did you take the truck to the dealer? What is it doing? Was it doing this when you bought it?

PCM's at the junk yard are $30-80 start calling around with your calibration code (the correct one for your year, engine and trans)

There are changes in wiring pin location and function that would not allow you to use a SOHC computer attached to a OHV wiring harness.

Why did you take the truck to the dealer? What is it doing?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213847

So do you mean its impossible that the PCM is for an SOHC ?
Cause i talked to the tech guy at the dealership, and he said that when he checked the pcm with the computer, it listed the car as an sohc !!!

No it is not impossible, the SOHC and OHV engines are VERY similar, in fact there are only 1 or 2 sensors that differ from engine to engine, so a 2000 OHV and 2000 SOHC computer are VERY similar......

But that does not mean it is the correct computer for your vehicle.
from your thread it sounds like the truck was running just fine and then started having issues.
This tells me the computer is the correct computer for your truck, the dealership tech is not always correct......in fact ASE certified or the ability to hook up a scanner to a Ford truck does not always make you correct.....

I suspect the tech either read it wrong or the scanner does not care which V6 computer it is talking too.

if this statement is true:
"the truck was running just fine and then started having issues."
then your current computer is fine.

That dealership is charging you ALOT of money for a little bit of work IMO, $1200 will buy you ALOT of parts and tools to do it yourself......IMO it is NOT very likely that your truck is using the wrong computer.....the issues you would have would be multiple codes in memory and poor driveability if the wrong PCM is used.

i dont know, i think my whole problem is because of the PCM !
But i cant seem to find the part # for it anywhere on the internet except on RockAuto, and it seems weird: (MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2098 {#XL5Z12A362AB}
Synchronizer Assy.; MFI w/2 Pin Stator (DISTRIBUTORLESS IGNITION))

What does that mean ? will it fit my truck ?

Ford dealer parts dept can give you a list of calibration codes that will work for your truck based on your VIN number

Then with the Ford calibration number you can find the correct used computer for your vehicle

Ford dealer parts dept can give you a list of calibration codes that will work for your truck based on your VIN number

Then with the Ford calibration number you can find the correct used computer for your vehicle

they just gave me the part number which is: XL2Z12A650JC.
and so i couldnt find a single used pcm that matches that number :(

YOUR 2000 truck has PATS, so you cannot just plug in another PCM without having the key and PATS module.

I do not believe your 2000 truck is running with the wrong computer or the previous owner switched computers on you

I'm having a similiar problem. 95 Explorer Sport, 5spd. Mechanic OBD'd and told me pcm, IAC and VSS were the problem and for $600 he'd fix it. I put in the IAC and it ran ok for a week until the fuel pump went out. While I had it down for the fuel pump, I put in the PCM and VSS. Now it randomly stalls, like in limp mode, and will suddenly jump out of it. I can actually hear something grab hold. I've since bought a scanner and it shows various faults related to an automatic trans - 522 vehicle not in park - 621 shift solenoid failure - 624 EPC failure -643 torque converter and more. Do I have a pcm for an auto trans? I bought it at AutoZone.

Back