Reprogramming a key fob for remote start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogramming a key fob for remote start

Friko

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT Eco
I'm wondering if someone did this already. I have a 2010 Escape and a 2013 Explorer. The Escape has a remote start system with 2 programmed key fobs (CL3Z-19G364-B).

I'm wondering if it's possible to reprogram one of the two key fobs for my Explorer using this technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3R58-24QU

Does remote start need to be enabled on my Explorer by the dealer first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering if someone did this already. I have a 2010 Escape and a 2013 Explorer. The Escape has a remote start system with 2 programmed key fobs (CL3Z-19G364-B).

I'm wondering if it's possible to reprogram one of the two key fobs for my Explorer using this technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3R58-24QU

I say YES. I needed to have the remote start enabled @ the dealer as well as the key FOBs.

Bobby.

I say YES. I needed to have the remote start enabled @ the dealer as well as the key FOBs.

Bobby.

Thanks

Just realized the video is for programming the key fob, not the remote starter fob :(

Those fobs cannot be programmed to your Explorer, it's a different system.

The dealer needs to enable remote start with their IDS tool.

The remote start must be installed on your Explorer before it will work.

There are multiple versions that use a key or fob. One supplies replacement keys, the long range has a separate key fob. Both have to be enabled by the dealer.

Thanks a lot guys. I took the Explorer to my usual dealer today. Last week when I called them, they asked me to bring the remote start fob (used on my Escape) so they could program it to work on my Explorer.
They called me after an hour saying that my Explorer doesn't have the remote start module and that it's $500 to install one.
I thought it was standard for the Explorers to have remote start installed but disabled. Is that false then?

Thanks a lot guys. I took the Explorer to my usual dealer today. Last week when I called them, they asked me to bring the remote start fob (used on my Escape) so they could program it to work on my Explorer.
They called me after an hour saying that my Explorer doesn't have the remote start module and that it's $500 to install one.
I thought it was standard for the Explorers to have remote start installed but disabled. Is that false then?

The remote start that uses the fob like your 2010 Escape can also be installed in a 2011+ Explorer. However, you can buy the 4 or 5 button keys (or the kit that comes with 2 new keys) for the 2011+ Explorer and any Ford dealer can enable the remote start using their IDS tool. There are no other modules to install, it's simply two new keys with the remote start buttons on them and the dealer enabling it through the vehicles PCM. It's a 5-10 minute process.

The remote start that uses the fob like your 2010 Escape can also be installed in a 2011+ Explorer. However, you can buy the 4 or 5 button keys (or the kit that comes with 2 new keys) for the 2011+ Explorer and any Ford dealer can enable the remote start using their IDS tool. There are no other modules to install, it's simply two new keys with the remote start buttons on them and the dealer enabling it through the vehicles PCM. It's a 5-10 minute process.

Thanks a lot Riley

So it's not installed by default?
Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

No, it's not installed by default on a non-limited Explorer. Even with the shortest range key fob only option, it has to be enabled by a dealer with programming.

The longer range options are hardware and software. Mine was about $450 installed and has really good range. I can start the Ex from a couple city blocks away in the best conditions.

it wasn't cheap, but it is really nice on cold winter days, and even the summer when it's really hot and humid. A couple minutes pre-heat or cool ups the comfort factor immensely with leather seats. :D

Back