Reputable and reliable headlights for the second gen? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Reputable and reliable headlights for the second gen?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Been wanting to get some new headlights though I hear the aftermarket ones tend to leak

Are there any you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

DemonMudder

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
I went with a company called Anzo, the headlights have yet to leak in 6 months. Work pretty well too, not really any complaints other than my crappy installation and breaking one mount on each one. But that's mostly thanks to a different issue on the truck, not to blame the brand. This is how mine came out.

20210730_125643.jpg

20210730_125636.jpg

20210730_141407.jpg

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
LOL. Did you get them on sale? over $400 on their website!
I used whatever stock replacements I found on ebay. No leaks in 3 years, but they are starting to haze. FL is hell on plastic.

DemonMudder

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
LOL. Did you get them on sale? over $400 on their website!
I used whatever stock replacements I found on ebay. No leaks in 3 years, but they are starting to haze. FL is hell on plastic.
Yeah, FL 100% is! They are just under $300 now where I originally bought them, they've gone up like $20 since I got them back in January. But it does show them as 5% off right now, only a little more than I paid.

karlos2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Spyder is a decent brand also. I have these headlights, and have no complaints so far.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Been wanting to get some new headlights though I hear the aftermarket ones tend to leak

Are there any you guys recommend?
Also looking....Cleaned up the plastic lenses, but the lights are only good IMO for driving 40mph. Arrgh, all the old cars I drove with simple round glass headlights never gave me this problem... Wish I could put THOSE in...

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
I installed TYC lights certified ones
I put a bead of rtv around the lens no leaks ever
I bought the turn signals to
1632138158379.png

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
They look nice, the replacement plastic lenses. TYC also advertises an upgrade LED conversion bulb (and seem uncertain it will fit!) Did you upgrade your bulbs or stay with factory replacements?

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
They look nice, the replacement plastic lenses. TYC also advertises an upgrade LED conversion bulb (and seem uncertain it will fit!) Did you upgrade your bulbs or stay with factory replacements?
Factory
They are like a year or more ago old

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Whether you just replace or buff out stock, always put film over it!
Way ahead in the long run.......

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Whether you just replace or buff out stock, always put film over it!
Way ahead in the long run.......
I only put it on the light bar and fogs
But I did it for night driving on deer alley road

bronchole

Driveway flexing!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
What is this film you are talking about?

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
There are also many companies(Lamin-X included) that make precut to your model. Not only makes for fast and easy application. The film Provides less pitting and oxidation.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
There are also many companies(Lamin-X included) that make precut to your model. Not only makes for fast and easy application. The film Provides less pitting and oxidation.
It comes off easy to
I mean you have to pull stretch it off but leaves nothing behind

Allen Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
You can find a lot of aftermarket headlights all over the internet. You may want to check out brands like Spyder, Anzo, and Lumen. You may want to visit 4WheelOnline for more options.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Meh, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

My '98 has been parked outside 24/7 for several years now and was most of the daylight hours back when a daily driver.

I buffed out the headlights, put a synthetic polishing wax on, and that's all I've ever needed to do a couple times a year since then. No "sealant" or "film", just a polishing (aka cleaner) synthetic wax. If I was parked where there was direct sunlight for the 2nd half of the day, I might need to do that quarterly instead of every half a year, but it's no more than grabbing a rag with a pea sized blob on it after washing the vehicle, takes 1-2 minutes.

On the other hand if you have a leak and gunk got on the inside of the lens, it has to either come apart to clean that out or replace it. Maybe you could power wash that off through the bulb hole, never had an occasion to try that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Meh, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

My '98 has been parked outside 24/7 for several years now and was most of the daylight hours back when a daily driver.

I buffed out the headlights, put a synthetic polishing wax on, and that's all I've ever needed to do a couple times a year since then. No "sealant" or "film", just a polishing (aka cleaner) synthetic wax. If I was parked where there was direct sunlight for the 2nd half of the day, I might need to do that quarterly instead of every half a year, but it's no more than grabbing a rag with a pea sized blob on it after washing the vehicle, takes 1-2 minutes.

On the other hand if you have a leak and gunk got on the inside of the lens, it has to either come apart to clean that out or replace it. Maybe you could power wash that off through the bulb hole, never had an occasion to try that.
Guess your lucky

My lights were to far gone to even try to fix
Same with the fogs