• Register Today It's free!

reschool me on my d-44's

project92

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
been away from the d-44's for a while... my question is I got a chevy 44(87 model) and a set of rotors off a ford 44 (3/4 ton 78 model) I'm wanting to make the chevy 44 a 8 lug front for a project does any body know if I can just put the ford rotors on the chevy axle?... I know I can do this chevy 1/2 to to chevy 3/4 ton but I couldn't remeber if DANA changed much from the nuckles out on their front ends....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know much on the rotor swapping since i've never done it myself but here's a good webpage that might help you out:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Is the Chevy D44 going on your Ex? The diff will be on the wrong side unless you have plans for a different T-case.

Don't know much on the rotor swapping since i've never done it myself but here's a good webpage that might help you out:
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Is the Chevy D44 going on your Ex? The diff will be on the wrong side unless you have plans for a different T-case.
let's just say a wild project... and yes it would be on the wrong side if I was using the ford t-case.... seeing by his one bearing chart a 79 chevy ford is the same so I went to autozone web page and it seems the 87 uses the same bearing...

Im 90% sure you can.
I did something similar by switching an FSJ 6-lug axle to 8-lug using a hubs/rotors from a 1985 K20.

Oh and the brakes is another thing you need to look at -- on the FSJ axle for example, a set of Chevy backing plates and calipers were needed.

Overall, I think it might be easier for you to stay with the Chevy line for this 8lug swap -- the '85 K20 is a good base as parts for it are widely available. The K20's calipers is also a lot easier to deal with than the Ford's because the Ford is a stupid rubber wedge thing where as the K20's is a sliding bolt caliper design common in modern vehicles.

acutally why I asked is I have a extra "free set" of ford eight lug rotors and free 373 posi 3/4 rear but a 373 1/2 ton front end...so my whole ideal was take the rotor and slap them on the chevy axle... thanks for all the info... just waiting on the guy to buy my motor out of the sport so I can get started.... easier to sell a motor they can hear run...

I dont know if it was a typo, but if your front is out of an 87 then its a 10 bolt. :)

If it was a typo and you have a 77-79 1/2 or 3/4 ton then yes it should work with the matching year ford rotor. If it is an 87 your SOL.

Also if you want highsteer nows the time to swap knuckles (unless you lucked out and already have them)

Back