• Register Today It's free!

Researching the '16 expl

Bayarea7176

Reaction score
City, State
Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 santa fe sport
I have been researching this car since Jan. Would be my first high cost car ourchase, and because of the sticker Im leaning towards top line (platinum). Hoping this forum can help me make the final decision between Limited and Platinum.

I want a car i love internally and expernally that is going to last me 150k miles +
My fiance and brother have only owned fords. My brothers expendition has 187k miles and still rides amazingly well. My fiances 16 yr old f150 hasnt even hit 100k yet, and i love that truck,

My requiresments: leather (light), AWD, rear camera, heated seats, smooth suspension, traveling convenience (chargers, bluetooth), dual zone heat/ac

Limited (L) vs platinum (P) for me:

(L)
Sligtly cheaper, but Only $4k less than platinum, but has ability to add some interior options without getting all the fluff i dont need.

Both rear rows will fold flat, 3 rd row has electronic fold

Had lots of bells and whistles withiut the platinum price.

(P)
Interior is beautiful. I appreciate the black integration with the light leather. Im not a fan of the all beige doors of the limiteD. At this pricepoint i need to love the interior, and i do on this model

Noise control of interior and a cushioned suspension (on par with expedition)

Captn. Chair option, although i wonder if it impacts flat fold of rear seats

I prefer the darker machined wheels over shiny chrome

In closing: is the suspension on platinum that much different As well as the noise control? Those are features of my brother expedition that i find incredible, but i have no interest in The expeditions size.

Have read poor reviews on interior comfort. I find both the edge and explorer to be very comfortable.

Thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Platinum model is pretty much fully loaded with very few options available. I personally like the seat stitching of the Platinum but most importantly, the 3.5TT EcoBoost motor. I have that motor in my Lincoln MKS and man, it moves out! So if you are stuck between the two, the motor alone is worth the extra $4K in price.

Explorer still front runner

thanks! I agree. its beautiful inside and it has all the room we need for the dog and trips to Tahoe. I test drove the Mkx and Mkc and still love the explorer. the only downside is the mpg...in my opinion. will test drive again this week, practicing parking, backing into a spot etc. want to get a feel for all the tech perks

thanks! I agree. its beautiful inside and it has all the room we need for the dog and trips to Tahoe. I test drove the Mkx and Mkc and still love the explorer. the only downside is the mpg...in my opinion. will test drive again this week, practicing parking, backing into a spot etc. want to get a feel for all the tech perks
The Platinum has extra sound deadening insulation as well. According to the Ford website, both the PLatinum and Sport have the 'Sport Tuned' suspensions.

Peter

I've heard the Platinum has active noise cancellation in addition to the extra sound deadening...

I have been researching this car since Jan. Would be my first high cost car ourchase, and because of the sticker Im leaning towards top line (platinum). Hoping this forum can help me make the final decision between Limited and Platinum.

I want a car i love internally and expernally that is going to last me 150k miles +
My fiance and brother have only owned fords. My brothers expendition has 187k miles and still rides amazingly well. My fiances 16 yr old f150 hasnt even hit 100k yet, and i love that truck,

My requiresments: leather (light), AWD, rear camera, heated seats, smooth suspension, traveling convenience (chargers, bluetooth), dual zone heat/ac

Limited (L) vs platinum (P) for me:

(L)
Sligtly cheaper, but Only $4k less than platinum, but has ability to add some interior options without getting all the fluff i dont need.

Both rear rows will fold flat, 3 rd row has electronic fold

Had lots of bells and whistles withiut the platinum price.

(P)
Interior is beautiful. I appreciate the black integration with the light leather. Im not a fan of the all beige doors of the limiteD. At this pricepoint i need to love the interior, and i do on this model

Noise control of interior and a cushioned suspension (on par with expedition)

Captn. Chair option, although i wonder if it impacts flat fold of rear seats

In closing: is the suspension on platinum that much different As well as the noise control? Those are features of my brother expedition that i find incredible, but i have no interest in The expeditions size.

Have read poor reviews on interior comfort. I find both the edge and explorer to be very comfortable.

Thx.

Turn on your spell check please!

.........Captn. Chair option, although i wonder if it impacts flat fold of rear seats

Thx.
The 2nd row buckets seats without a 2nd row console will leave a gap between the seat backs when folded flat. They will have no impact on the 3rd row seats when folded.
As for interior colour, that is a personal choice. I had the light stone (beige) in my 2011 Limited and have an all black interior in my MKT. There is no question in my mind that if I had a choice, the black interior would NOT be it. In addition to creating a dark interior, in my case it also is more difficult to keep clean and I'm the only occupant.

Peter

My wife and I just got a 16 platinum at the end of last month. Traded in a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring. The ride and interior noise level are fantastic. Much better than the Pilot. Especially the road noise. The Pilot had quite a bit of road noise, which I didn't truly realize until driving the Explorer.

All the seats, including the bucket seats in the 2nd row fold flat. But there is an opening between the second row seats because we don't have the console, which BTW, can be easily added later for around $150.

Overall, we are very pleased with the vehicle. We were looking at the Expedition as well, but it didn't have all the features we wanted (mainly the heated steering wheel). After approx 1 month of ownership, we have no regrets.

My 2015 Limited is very quiet already, particularly on the highway. The only time noise is prevalent is on concrete roadways, but that's a function of the tire/road surface in which all tires are noisy.

I can't imagine that there would be much difference between the Platinum and Limited in terms of noise level.

Thanks all. Its looking like a go here in the household. Sgt1411.... Sorry about typos. My ipad didnt offer spellcheck on the forum.

We just traded in a 2014 Limited for the 2016 Platinum.

Night and day difference. The AWD and Ecoboost perform so much better than the Normal 3.5. Our 2014 was 4WD but not full-time. Handling and sound deadening are superior.

I have a 2015 F150 Platinum as well and that is what sold us on all the "bells and whistles".

We just traded in a 2014 Limited for the 2016 Platinum.

Night and day difference. The AWD and Ecoboost perform so much better than the Normal 3.5. Our 2014 was 4WD but not full-time. Handling and sound deadening are superior.

I have a 2015 F150 Platinum as well and that is what sold us on all the "bells and whistles".
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The Platinum has the same AWD system as the 2014 Limited. All the 5th generation Explorers are FWD biased. Now that you have your new Platinum, don't be shy about adding it to your profile or signature so we will know for future posts. Thanks and Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

The Platinum is a tomb compared to my 2005 Cadillac STS. I can't believe how quiet it is!

Back