• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Reseeding & watering newly seeded grass/lawn

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Had a little mishap with a bee or wasp nest a few weeks back and well the lawn was well scorched to the point nothing grew back.. dug up about 2" or so of the ground and reseeding the lawn plus layed down a bed of straw/hay so the birds don't get the seeds.. Anyone know what a ideal schedule for watering to get the seeds to germinate? Mind you I have no green thumb and I often forget to water..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

kert0307

Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
At the minimum water it every evening, then the sun won't immediately evaporate the water. The straw should help keep the ground moist as well.

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
A person that lives a couple miles down the road from me round-up'd his lawn about three weeks ago..... Last weekend, he was out there watering it. I thought, "oops, he must have gone overboard on the fertilizer." When I was by there yesterday, they had about three inches of nice, thick, green lawn coming up through it.... He must have used the old grass in place of the straw, and he's been watering it in the evenings, around 6:00. I'm insanely jealous of his grass and contemplating doing the same thing...

Getting back on track, I'd suggest early evening, and not to over-water it. If mushrooms start growing, it's too wet. :)

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
So far I've been watering it 15 minutes twice a day.. once in the AM and again before the sun goes down. Drove a spike thru the soil by hand to see how wet the soil was.. Seems to be good, I can force it down a few inches without too much force.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
The best time to water is in the early AM; watering in the late PM will cause rot, mold, mildew, 'shrooms and other nasty things to grow.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
OK, now I have to ask about the wasp nest. What on earth happened? I am having visions of my own while I try to decipher this, and it is very funny--

When I apply grass seed, I water and rake it in.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
OK, now I have to ask about the wasp nest. What on earth happened? I am having visions of my own while I try to decipher this, and it is very funny

Wasps are NOT funny, their stings hurt and on top of it, I'm allergic. But I'm wondering if Ben got stung too

jad2411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
Hair spray and lighter Ben?

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty

Wasps are NOT funny, their stings hurt and on top of it, I'm allergic. But I'm wondering if Ben got stung too
I apologize for that Sandy--however I still have visions of my father and his can of wasp spray. He found a nice hornet nest in a bush outside our house when I was a kid. The whole thing didn't go too well, but I had never seen dad move that fast. He was a sprinter I tell ya.

:D

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
OK, now I have to ask about the wasp nest. What on earth happened? I am having visions of my own while I try to decipher this, and it is very funny--

When I apply grass seed, I water and rake it in.
Umm I got stung once when I was outside.. Decided that I was gonna teach them a lesson dumped a 3 gallon jug of gasoline on a approximately 5x5 area and made fire.. then realized dry grass and fuel don't mix.. Turned into a about a 10x10 area that got scorched.. lol..

eXcali

Reaction score
City, State
Bourbonnais, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
This late in the season I would make sure that you put down some new seed in the area as soon as winter breaks. Putting down some now won't hurt, but it's a good idea to follow it up as the new grass might not survive the winter. While your messing with it, it's the perfect time of the year to put down some fert. or turf builder.
Next time you wind up in a spot like this try out that green seed and feed mix most home improvement places sell. It takes VERY fast and I've seen it look like new in less than 2 weeks.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Zoysia sod.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
It's that time of year here in the desert when everyone reseeds their lawns. I just scalped the lawn down and cut the water to let the old grass die off.
So for initial watering you want to water several times a day but only for a couple minutes (if that) at a time, no deep watering needed. The idea is to keep the seeds moist until they germinate then you can go into a normal watering routine.
Also, there is grass seed that is coated to keep the birds away but it does cost a bit more.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Umm I got stung once when I was outside.. Decided that I was gonna teach them a lesson dumped a 3 gallon jug of gasoline on a approximately 5x5 area and made fire.. then realized dry grass and fuel don't mix.. Turned into a about a 10x10 area that got scorched.. lol..
All you were missing was the video camera. That would have been a real YouTube moment:D:eek:

TheJackal

Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
The best time to water is in the early AM; watering in the late PM will cause rot, mold, mildew, 'shrooms and other nasty things to grow.
When my folks lived overseas for a year, I used a water timer I got from the Home Depot to automatically water the lawn at 6AM. I could choose different days if I wanted to or if it was really hot or dry spell, I could do it every day.

The one I bought was a "Orbit Automatic Yard Watering System" I think it was about $30 or so, and came with a 4-port hose manifold and 2 control valves. You can add on 2 more valves to control 4 independent hoses.

Don't by the Melnor water timers; I tried 3 different ones and had to take all of them back. The first one was not programmable enough, and the other two didn't last longer than 45 minutes outside. :rolleyes:

Oh, and your wasp experience reminds me of this... :D
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm usually still awake when the sun rises so I'm usually up early enough to water.. Did it this morning.. Setup a secondary shut off valve for the water so I can do it from the basement utility room.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Icuff4cash Off topic tip for garden self watering planter Exploring everything under the sun!! 1