Reservoir vs. non Shocks

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
I am about to upgrade my rear Rancho RS9000s to Bilsteins.

The question is, will reservoir shocks provide better dampening and control than non-res shocks on a truck that is not a desert racer? I do run in the desert, and enjoy the whoops, but I do not jump or otherwise abuse the truck.

Empty, the rear axle carries about 2500 lbs. Off-road, I tow a teardrop trailer, and usually have a lot in the back. I have custom built Deaver leaf springs, that handle the load nicely.

I guess part of the question is does the extra weight/load cause the shock to heat up more/faster?

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I guess a basic and simple way to determine the need is to answer yourself a couple questions..

Do you experience shock fade?
Do you get a lot of travel out of the shock?
Are you traveling long distance at a fast speed thru whoops?

The reservoir adds fluid capacity which allows the fluid to stay cooler for longer but your concern seems to be more of a shock rate issue...Trying to tune in your single rated shock for various loads will be extremely difficult.

Dial in shocks might help, air bags, or even coilover for loads might work too..

Fade? Going to Tea Kettle junction...
Travel? Part of the upgrade reason is my shocks are not the correct length with these springs.
Long distance through the whoops? More so out west than around here.

A large part of question has to do with towing trailer, and does the trailer put additional load (cycles) on the shocks?

Ok...you are hauling a guestimated 600#'s plus in the bed which would give you more shock travel on a bumpy road so you up your shock rate to help dampen (less travel)..

Idealy your trailer would be balanced enough to have a light tongue weight. But realistically you will be adding more weight to the rear springs which will flex more and allow more shock travel.

The bilsteins should correct the fade themselves for you but the mathematics and weight variables will be a variable which may wind up being more trial and error than an easy answer..

How well gour springs handle the weight variables over time will also effect your shock results..I still beleive coilover for loads swapped in and out as needed on certain trips are a good answer but hauling the 600#-1000#'s with my chebby 63's springs I would feel comfortable with the Bilsteins Brian1 wound up with (no res)..

Interesting idea about swapping in coilovers - but I think that would be overkill.

The rear sags an inch or so when loaded, but still gives a nice, controlled ride. Coilovers would change the spring rate, probably yielding a less compliant suspension.

I'm pretty sure non-res shocks will be fine - I just wanted some other opinions.

I run the non-res Bilstiens in my ranger. I of course don't live out west but I drive the heck out of my truck on the street and interstate. Right now I have too much spring in the back so it's a rough ride unloaded but if I put 400#s in the back it rides like a caddy. I'm running Fox coil overs in the front.

Back