Reset RAP on '95 explorer

HogIII

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Help Guys,

I found the keyless entry remote unit in the jack compartment. I must have touched something wrong in there because now when I start the X all the interior lights come on and stay on for a while. If I leave the X running the interior lights eventually turn off. I can open the door and the lights come on, then shut the door and the lights go out. But when I turn the ignition off the interior lights all come on and stay on for like 10 to 20 minutes then go out. Also the door ajar light stays on. So my wifes big question is, WHAT DID YOU DO !

Help Please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably a bad door switch. Not sure if '95 X's had a timer. On newer vehicles when a door is left open for a while the lights will turn off on their own.

I believe that there is a battery saver on 95+, where they will eventually turn off to keep you from going dead.

I'd suggest asking someone to open doors while you sit in the driver seat. Even if one door is ajar permanently, the other doors should cause a "chime" to go off. When you find the door that does not chime, that one is your culprit. Don't forget the tailgate and tailgate window...

Hey, I tried the door sound idea and it worked. I had recently taken off the tailgate interior cover to work on the latch, when I put it back together the light problems started. I checked like you said and sure enough it was the tailgate. I took off the cap over the latch and unplugged the connector and the lights went out. I'm leaving it unplugged for now cause everything seems to be working right.

If that is the case, either your glass latch isn't working properly or your door ajar sensor is bad.

I may have a "door ajar" switch that could work for you. I recently started a mechanical overhaul of the tailgate mechanism and may have an extra switch from a liftgate latch. It should work on the glass latch. I'll keep ya posted.

Back