Resetting Oil Change Interval? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resetting Oil Change Interval?

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I did a search but couldn't find any info.

Can I, or the dealer, reset the oil change interval? I think it is factory default set at 7500 miles (not sure of this) but my mechanic says that with the oil and filter I am using (both are Amsoil) I should be able to safely go 10k miles between changes.

I know I can turn off the oil change needed warning but it would be cool if I could reset the interval. Thank you for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory interval is 10k miles under normal driving conditions but I don't know if it can be reset to another interval or not.

Peter

I did a search but couldn't find any info.

Can I, or the dealer, reset the oil change interval? I think it is factory default set at 7500 miles (not sure of this) but my mechanic says that with the oil and filter I am using (both are Amsoil) I should be able to safely go 10k miles between changes.

I know I can turn off the oil change needed warning but it would be cool if I could reset the interval. Thank you for any input.

It isn't just a mileage interval. I'd recommend searching "Inteligent Oil lIfe Monitor" or "IOLM" to learn everything it mo itors to calculate the life left.

The IOLM not only goes by usage (7500-10k) but also indicates a change needed if a year has elapsed.

Just trying to see if I can bump up the mileage and time (year) due to good lubrication (synth) and filter, low mileage in a year, etc.

No, Ford requires an oil change at a 1yr/10k max period

OK, thanks. Was just hoping.

OK, thanks. Was just hoping.
The iOLM is based upon driving parameters using Motorcraft 5W-30 which is a synthetic blend. You are out of warranty and using a synthetic Amsoil you can go longer as long as your not doing all local driving. For our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer the iOLM ticks down to 10,000 mile oil change interval no matter the season or type of driving. I don't have much faith in it based upon my used oil analysis' I had done so far. My UOA using Motorcraft 5W-30 at 4,275 miles was worse than the UOA using synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 for 7,000 miles. I don't know whether you can "adjust" the iOLM. but you can ignore it like I do and just change the oil based upon mileage and from the UOA's, if you have any done. Check "bob is the oil guy", BITOG, for UOA's of oil used in your vehicle.

Whimsey

The iOLM is based upon driving parameters using Motorcraft 5W-30 which is a synthetic blend.................

Whimsey
Not all Motorcraft 5W-30 is a synthetic blend. Explorers for the Canadian market come with 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil. My previous 2014 MKT Ecoboost and current 2017 Platinum both used/use the regular 5W-30.

Peter

Back