Resetting The Computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resetting The Computer

Jayson

Reaction score
I just performed some maintenance on my 1993 Explorer that required the check engine light to come on. Now that I have replaced the malfunctioning parts how do I reset the check engine light? It seems to keep coming on even after disconnecting/reconnecting the vehicle's battery.

Thank you,
Jayson
San Diego, CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't that mean that you still have something malfunctioning, causing the "check engine" light to come on? Disconnecting the battery does reset the computer. Better scan the codes and see what's going on.

------------------
1997 XLT 4.0L OHC - Lifted,
But Not Much....

My Other Automatic is a Glock.

Jayson, you are already doing it correctly.

I just pulled the battery cable off tonight to reset a "Check Engine" light. It seems to come on about once a year, and all three times i've done this, it stayed off.

If yours is refusing to go away, go back and check your repairs first...maybe you knocked a wire loose or somesuch. If not, you need to get the code read.

Good luck...hope it's just a loose connection.

------------------
ERIC H.
'96 XLT
"You can run, but you can't hide...my dogs track."

How long did you disconnect the battery for?
It can take 20-30 minutes for the KAM to erase after the battery is disconnected.

------------------
1997 E.B. V8 AWD Explorer
Motorsports headers
Magnaflow Dual 2.5" in 3" out
3" Tailpipe with NO resonator
K&N Filter
opened air box inlet
3.73 gears

when you reset the battery, do you have to take both cables off or just the negative one or does it matter?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4
splitfire wires
bosch +4 plugs
hella 530 foglights

just take the negative off.

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
w/90K miles
Dead Link Removed
[NSFR671]

Daemon,

I took off the positive cable only. I took it off for about five minutes, should I have left the negative cable off for about 30 minutes like someone else suggested?

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Jayson

The codes I got were low voltage to the MAF sensor and the left & right EGO sensors needed to be replaced. Those were the only three codes I got. I R&R'd those three components and ran some $10 Dura-Lube fuel treatment mixed with a 10 gallon fill-up.

Jayson,

I always just pull the positive cable and i leave it off for 5-10 minutes. That's always worked for me.

However, why not do the negative cable for 30 minutes? It doesn't take but 30 minutes, and then you'll know you've done all you can as far as resetting the computer.

Hope it works for you.

------------------
ERIC H.
'96 XLT
"You can run, but you can't hide...my dogs track."

I've also been disconnecting the positive. But when I installed my hypertech module... it said to disconnect the negative wire. I don't know if it makes any difference.

------------------
'92 XLT 4x4
4.0L EFI V6
w/90K miles
Dead Link Removed
[NSFR671]

The reason for removing the negative battery cable first is to reduce the possibility of having a short circuit (with lots of fireworks)to the chasis via the wrench when removing the positive cable. For reseting the computer, or working on any electrical component for that matter, it is only necessary to remove the negative cable.

Back