Resetting the PCM after Repairs are made | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resetting the PCM after Repairs are made

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem with my 97 explorer that would not start. Ended up being the crankshaft position sensor, so I replaced it. Never disconnected the neg cable like in the video, I just reset the code with an OBD-II reader. The check engine light keeps coming on after a short drive with code p0300 but runs great. So do I need to perform the steps in the video to fix this, or do you think I am looking at something more serious.

I had a similar problem with my 97 explorer that would not start. Ended up being the crankshaft position sensor, so I replaced it. Never disconnected the neg cable like in the video, I just reset the code with an OBD-II reader. The check engine light keeps coming on after a short drive with code p0300 but runs great. So do I need to perform the steps in the video to fix this, or do you think I am looking at something more serious.

I would go ahead and do the reset as in the video. I did a lot of work to my truck a few months ago since it was running rough. Even after replacing a ton of parts it was still running like crap. Guy at the auto parts store told me to reset, which is when I found this thread. After reset she ran great.

If it's throwing the same codes, which mine did, try a reset 1st. Could save you some money.

So I changed the spark plugs and air filter in the 2004 XLS and I don't have the temperature showing on my display like I think maybe it should. While I have reset everything using my scan tool I haven't unhooked the batter to reset everything since I bought the Explorer back in September.

I unhook the battery and use the jumper to discharge the capacitors and as I don't plan on learning fuel trims and all tonight I just unhook the jumper and leave the batter unhooked. My wife gets home from work and wants food and asks me to run out. I think ok, I can relearn fuel trims and all tonight anyway. As soon as I put the negative cable back the lights start flashing and the horn is blowing and I think it is part of the security system so I hit the panic button on the remote and that sets off a different pattern of the horn blowing. I put the key in the ignition and turn it on without starting and it does not stop. Seeing as how it's 10pm and I have neighbors I just unhook the battery again and deal with it in the morning.

Until morning, does anyone have any idea what is going on with this?

So I finally figured out my problem this morning. When I turned the key on and let it on while the horn was sounding and the flashers were going it would stop. But when I tried to start it would do nothing. Then I remembered that right after I bought it I discovered that someone had installed a remote start on this unit. I completely unhooked the remote start and no problems. Now the Ex is idling to learn those values and in a few I will go drive it to learn the shift points.

For Timing chains replacement too?

makuloco2000 , I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC with 130,000 miles. I just had a friend do my timing chains, tensioners, sprockets and guides, Oil pump, water pump, Injector O-rings and insulators. Its running great.. but is this something we should have done.. clear the PCM as you show here? Ive driven 450 miles or so and no problems so far. Thanks.

I'd like to see something on the 4th Gen 4.6L V8 but useful info never the less.

Replaced fuel injectors on 2001 sport trac due to one leaking gas. Now I have lean code banks 1 and 2. All vacum lines are new and it will go two days before it codes again. Could it be old learned values from old injectors. Runs better with new injectors. I have unhooked battery but did not hook wire up.

Here is the definitive how to guide to clear all the old bad shifting and idle habits from the defective parts you have changed out. Many times the vehicle will exhibit the same concern even after replacing the part due to old "Learned Value". Take a moment to watch the video and you will then finish the repair job right!

Back