Resistance rear wheel speed sensors | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resistance rear wheel speed sensors

This is going nowhere fast. I already told you it is the ac voltage measured from the sensor when the wheel rotates that matters. If you want to try switching the wires go ahead (there is no risk doing so, nothing but a coil in the sensor so not subject to being damaged by this) but there is no polarity from these sensors, they are only an AC producing passive electromagnetic coil, no diode in series or anything, which I did check for with a multimeter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked the ABS- module connector pin 21 and 22 but there is no continuity. For the other option pin 1 and 16: pin 1 doesn't exist.
How can I remove the cover form the connector to see to which pin goes which wire?
Thank you.

I have never tried to open one. Usually there is some insert piece you pull out to free the contact block, sometimes it is a different color plastic, then with a block that big there may also be friction tabs so a thin pry tool is needed. As with anything this old that is plastic, your best chances of getting it apart without cracking the plastic will be if the plastic is very warm (even hot like heating it with a hair dryer first).

However you don't necessarily have to open it. Using a multimeter with long probe leads, you can check for continuity between each contact (one then the other) in turn on the connector to the ABS sensor, against each contact in turn on the ABS module connector until you find which two contacts correspond to each other. If none do, then you have a break or short in the wire. Coincidences aside, even if you have a break or short in the wire, odds are you wouldn't have a break in both wires happen at once, unless you happened to run over some road debris that hit the cable and took out both wires, or a rodent got up in there and was chewing and just couldn't stop with the first wire.

J_C,
I used a multimeter with long probe leads, to check for continuity between the connector of the ABS module and the connector to the ABS sensor as you told me. The green/black wire had no continuity. At the very top of the harness there was a little, little cut (see image). It was difficult to see but now it's done and the ABS light is off!!!
Second time: Thank you very much for your help J_C!!!! Thank you for helping me till I could solve the problem!!!
Also thank you for supporting this forum because without people like you those trucks would be in the junkyard.
20210531_112704.jpg

20210531_174559.jpg

It's still off!!!

Back