• Register Today It's free!

Resonator Question

steddy

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Does anyone know if there is an exhaust setup that deletes the resonators but still retains the stock dual pipe setup for '97 Explorer AWD w/5.0L?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes i live in georgia and depending were you live if you have emmision or not you must have it. you can take the resinator off and it will sound alot better and give you more airflow

I find a resonator tones down the exterior sound a bit and makes it sound MUCH better in the cab (i.e. reduces drone). Based on discussions with three exhaust shops I've used in the past, they all agree that resonators are not very restrictive at all and you don't gain much in the way of flow by removing them. Take a look at an aftermarket resonator in person some time and you'll see what I mean. There should be NO effect on emmissions as it's essentially just a straight pipe with a bit of a design cut into it to "tune" the sound and a baffle to tone it down a bit.

I recently removed an aftermarket resonator I have, and as much as I like the sound outside the truck, the drone is wearing on me again. I took it off when I got my headers put on. In the coming months I'm going to get the rear cats removed on my 5.0 which should free up some space to get an upgraded resonator put back in. My old install was a bit of a tight fit with the cats present.

Don't get too hung up on exhaust "kits". Find a muffler you want and then find a good shop to install it with whatever options YOU want (i.e. pipe size, with or without resonator etc). Optimal size for pipes is 2.5" with the 5.0.

Thanks all. I know I'm in need of at least the muffler and tailpipe, but thought it feels a little "dragged" for an 8. I may not be allowing for the AWD though. The motor's gotta turn all four, so that's probably the drag. Been in a car way too long.

Thanks all. I know I'm in need of at least the muffler and tailpipe, but thought it feels a little "dragged" for an 8. I may not be allowing for the AWD though. The motor's gotta turn all four, so that's probably the drag. Been in a car way too long.

I tell ya, I came to the V8 from two straight SOHC V6 equipped Explorers and I was a tad disappointed when I first test drove a few.I didn't know what all the hype was about because I felt the V8 to be sluggish. I bought one anyhow because of the bomb proof reputation of the drivetrain.

I did upgrade the exhaust and put on an air intake setup right away which work it up a bit. The biggest early change I made as getting custom tuning done. Stock V8 Explorers feel like they're tuned for soccer moms....because they are! Contact Henson Performance (site sponsor) if you want to wake up your 302. Consider Torque Monster Headers too. The latter is a HUGE upgrade for 5.0L Explorers. :)

I tell ya, I came to the V8 from two straight SOHC V6 equipped Explorers and I was a tad disappointed when I first test drove a few.I didn't know what all the hype was about because I felt the V8 to be sluggish. I bought one anyhow because of the bomb proof reputation of the drivetrain.

I did upgrade the exhaust and put on an air intake setup right away which work it up a bit. The biggest early change I made as getting custom tuning done. Stock V8 Explorers feel like they're tuned for soccer moms....because they are! Contact Henson Performance (site sponsor) if you want to wake up your 302. Consider Torque Monster Headers too. The latter is a HUGE upgrade for 5.0L Explorers. :)

I'll do that man. Thanks for the insight!

Back