• Register Today It's free!

Resonator Rattle

Henders

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I have a 2006 Ex (4.6 V8) Limited and a few months ago it developed a rattle. I isolated the rattle to the resonator (between the cats and muffler). I checked with FORD and they said that the resonator is not covered under the extended warranty and to replace it would be about $700. Has anyone else had this issue and has an alternative fix other than turning up the radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is internal, or is it just rattling against something. Can you push on it with a rubber mallet (or something) and make the rattle go away?

$700!!!!!!!!! That is insane! I have a 2010 Sport Trac V8 OEM Muffler and OEM Resonator sitting in my garage. They have 1,025 miles on them and have never seen rain. I bought my truck a couple months ago and took them off after a couple sunny weeks. I'd sell you either or both for a hell of a lot less than that!

The rattle is internal to the resonator. It rattles like a diesel when cold, then settles down when the engine warms up. Once warm, it only rattle when accelerating. I was thinking of taking a few LONG screws and seeing if I can get lucky and hit the loose part, but I have no clue on what the internals of the resonator are like.... Psycaryo - I know, $700 is crazy! That's the cost for the part plus installation (Exhaust Assembly is about $525 + 2hrs labor). I was also thinking of just removing the resonator and having a different muffler installed (about $125), but since we do a lot of highway driving, the wife wants to have something quiet (no or very little drone effect). What did you have installed?

sure its not the front upper cat blown up and pieces into the muffler?

its cats => muffler box -> resonator. that cylinder crap at the end before the tail pipe is the resonator. muffler is after the cats.

to even see the setup goto http://www.fordparts.com

type in year, model, make, then goto exhaust, and click view image, also if you look it up you see that the muffler / resonator is 1 assembly.

Ford calls the muffler the smallest component in the line just before the tail pipe. They call the resonator the largest unit after the cat. This is what both a ford tech and the performance exhaust shop guy told me. They said it's identifiable by the internal composition o the parts and their purpose in the system, not by their location. Most resonators come before the muffler. The biggest exception to this is the new sport dodge ram. They have dual resonators in each tail pipe.

I had a 14" Magnaflow installed with the resonator delete. It sounds amazing and I get compliments on the sound Dailey. I don't find Much drone if any but I do have more o a taste for the louder stuff.

Back