Restoring Black Paint on Explorer Sport-Products | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Restoring Black Paint on Explorer Sport-Products

I have never done this before so Im not sure how to go about it. I have a Black Explorer that has scratches some minor & major, swirl marks, faded, dull, burned in water marks, etc. Washing leaves with a dull, rough feeling to the paint.
Im looking around on this forum and there is literally way to many threads to scroll through with all different answers. Im not looking for show room finish just want to bring back some color, shine, and protection. I saw this car restoration show Truck U and they used all surfcity garage items, I was thinking of using that until I got to the store and was bombarded with way to many other choices. I have no clue where to start.

The show I watched used this combo, Surf City Garage Beyond Clay then Nano Seal, then Nano Glaze, then Caranuba Wax.

Surf City Garage Beyond Clay
KRT Scratch Out
Clay Magic Detailing Clay Kit
Meguiar's Clay Bar
Meguiar's Paint Restortation Kit
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compund
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compund
Nu Finish Scratch Remover
Turtle Wax Color Magic Black
Turtle Wax Black Box
Turtle Wax Black Detailer
Turtle Wax Polishing Compund
Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound

Anyone use any of these products and how did you like them?
Any tips are welcome aside from getting the repainted.

thats a lot of product.

On a 99 there is a good chance your paint is pretty much gone, but not guaranteed.

Here is what I would do.
Wash it with Dawn. No not your friend Dawn from down the street, Dawn dish detergent. Normally dish detergent is a big no-no, but in this case the result will be the intended purpose.
When you rinse it off do not dry it. Dump out your wash bucket and make a fresh batch of soapy water again using dawn. Get your self a clay bar. I prefer Mothers or Meguairs. Dont bother with their lube. You will get better results this way.
Clay bar one panel at a time. Go in straight lines only and only in one direction. Once you pick that direction keep it. As you rub with the clay bar you will feel it picking up contaminates and getting smoother and smoother. Remember to kneed the clay often. Grab a ice cold Dr.Pepper, this is going to take a wile.
Once you have clayed every thing smooth wash it again, wit dawn ( for the last time ).
Your ex likely will look kinda rough, but rest assured it is super clean.

Now I am very fond of Zaino products. (www.zainostore.com ) this stuff is expensive and since you are not seeking show quality results, you are better off passing, but I thought I would share with you any way.
The next step is to start treating it with a good wax or polymer. I very much prefer the polymer stuff over wax for more than a few reasons. There is a lot of good product out there but all I am familiar with is Zaino, so do a little research.
This should get you just about where you want to be. From there on out you want to stick with a good quality car soap like Maguairs.

Back