RESULTS:from 4 wheel alinement quote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RESULTS:from 4 wheel alinement quote?

tradar

Reaction score
City, State
Muskegon, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, mountaineer
well I have some where and tear in the front. nothing to be concerned about.

left front -1.1 camber right front -.7camber
caster 5.4*
caster (green) toe 0.44

toe -0.06
total toe .38in
steer ahead -0.5

left rear right rear
camber -.9* 0.3* camber
toe 0.07 -0.46 toe
see the right side?

they said my solid axle is "bent?" and I quote " BENT??" I am not convinced that they where SURE of what they where telling me.

My tires where wearing on the inside of the drivers side rear.

so that made some since to me. but what do you guys think?
I am trying to find a vin # decoder to figure out "IF" the axle is bent. what I need to buy to replace it.

all comments are helpfull.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be bent but -.9* Shouldn't chew a tire up too bad. Are you sure its the right rear thats doing all the the wearing or have the tires been rotated before? Also check your tire pressures to make sure they are the same side to side.

They said the toe was "toed out"
toe 0.07 left side -0.46 toe right side

??? they said the ride side tire was heading toward the ditch?

-.9 deg. of camber plus a positive toe setting will definately chew up the inside of a tire.

Thanks guys. I went to the body shop I use and asked If he could straiten he axle. he said It won't be PERFECT but it will be damn close. that's goo enough for me.. sure easyer than changing the rear end a month from Chrismas:mad:

The wear On the tires were the lease of my concerns. the main problem was if your driving along and hit a patch of ice on the drivers side the truck goes in to a VOILENT slide. ya ITS NO fun... thanks to all.

Could the alignment issue be caused by a bad axle shaft bearing? Just thinking it may not be a worst-case scenario right out of the gate... If it was just a bent axle shaft, it wouldn't cause the tire to wear like that, but a shot axle shaft bearing or if the axle shaft itself is loose/worn where it rides on the bearing, that could certainly cause the odd readings.

I seldom see an axle actually bend... they're so brittle they'll generally crack before they bend that far...

-Joe

Back