Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump

Yeah...they really snug in tight....with your pulling hand just use that index finger to push down on tab and pull and rock simultaneoously, while holding opposite connection secure. Might spray a touch of lubricant in edges first but clean off any residue off pins when done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I use my thumbnail on one hand to depress the tab while pulling apart with both hands

IF you are just replacing the fuel pump, you should be able to pull the assembly out using the slack you already have.

As I recall, you wanted to replace the entire assembly. Not sure what that that pump assembly comes with… could you post a picture, and we will be able to tell what connections are available???

EDIT: the connection behind the one you are working on looks MUCH friendlier. Still need to see what comes with the assembly. I do not think that releasing the connection you are working on would help very much….
I'd like to change the whole assembly to be on the safe side. Not sure how I can replace the whole assembly without pulling out one end or the other of that cable (Is that what you call it?)

What view of the existing assembly would you like me to photograph? Thanks.

I use a 90° pick
Cool tool works on all connections

Why not just replace the pump only
Unless you're rich or the gauge is bad

Why not just replace the pump only
Unless you're rich or the gauge is bad
Well-- I don't know what is wrong with it. Also, there are a couple of loose wires flapping around... And then-- I don't want to learn too much all at once ;< )

No, not at all rich. Just don't want to do this again any time soon.

What exactly do you do with it?
A pick
I stick it in there and hold the release tab down then pull

1634585590292.png

I'd like to change the whole assembly to be on the safe side. Not sure how I can replace the whole assembly without pulling out one end or the other of that cable (Is that what you call it?)

What view of the existing assembly would you like me to photograph? Thanks.
The photo I would be interested in would be your new fuel pump assembly. I suspect that it comes with a short wiring harness out through and past the top of the unit. You are working on a connection at the base of the unit. If the new assembly does come with a wiring harness/bundle, you will want to disconnect it at the next/higher level, such that your entire new assembly is used in your installation.

(I believe that @donalds is giving you information about the release of that next level connection.)

Good luck.

The photo I would be interested in would be your new fuel pump assembly. I suspect that it comes with a short wiring harness out through and past the top of the unit. You are working on a connection at the base of the unit. If the new assembly does come with a wiring harness/bundle, you will want to disconnect it at the next/higher level, such that your entire new assembly is used in your installation.

(I believe that @donalds is giving you information about the release of that next level connection.)

Good luck.
I'm afraid I read your message too late... I saw another plug lurking inside the assembly itself, so I took the assembly apart and just pulled out the plug. The assembly is now sitting far, far from the truck, on the picnic table in my front yard. War trophy.

As for the new fuel pump assembly... I don't have one. I don't know what to buy... when I enter my vehicle info on the various sites I've visited, I'm told that none of the reputable pumps fit.

Any ideas?
A pick
I stick it in there and hold the release tab down then pull

View attachment 397328

Way better off with an expensive pump vs a budget sending unit. If you do it cheap, you will be doing it again.

Is your fuel pump assembly still usable, or destroyed as “war trophy”?

IF your assembly is still usable, and IF you have no problems with fuel gauge, you could really just replace the fuel pump and fuel sock (filter). NAPA sells Carter, and Advance sells Delphi. Spend money on the fuel pump, as everyone has mentioned. I don’t think any parts stores carry Bosch. In my opinion, none of them last as long as they should, but the cheap units are even worse.

I think you are 95% done, and delayed only by needing parts. Keep after it. If you stop for a long time, things get goofier… missing parts, memory lapses, etc…

Extra Credit Question For English Teachers. what would Ernest Hemingway do in this situation?

Good Luck.

Is your fuel pump assembly still usable, or destroyed as “war trophy”?

IF your assembly is still usable, and IF you have no problems with fuel gauge, you could really just replace the fuel pump and fuel sock (filter). NAPA sells Carter, and Advance sells Delphi. Spend money on the fuel pump, as everyone has mentioned. I don’t think any parts stores carry Bosch. In my opinion, none of them last as long as they should, but the cheap units are even worse.

I think you are 95% done, and delayed only by needing parts. Keep after it. If you stop for a long time, things get goofier… missing parts, memory lapses, etc…

Extra Credit Question For English Teachers. what would Ernest Hemingway do in this situation?

Good Luck.

Totally edited since I could not post my reply last night... and then it turned out that it posted after all. Still, it's a new day... I guess there’s a limit on how many times per day you can post here? When they’ve had enough of me, clicking on "post reply" doesn’t work, and my screen goes dark.

The fuel gauge was ok. I can probably put the assembly together again—though there is the matter of those loose wires…. I'll have a look at it this morning, then scream if I need help. Want any more pics of the old fuel pump?

I dunno, maybe I will get just the pump after all and put a sock in it.

Long time since I read Hemingway. I’ll take a stab at it: Pour himself an absinthe? Feel the earth move? Say “Eff this Explorer and the bull it rode in on," then hitch a ride in an ambulance?

Totally edited since I could not post my reply last night... and then it turned out that it posted after all. Still, it's a new day... I guess there’s a limit on how many times per day you can post here? When they’ve had enough of me, clicking on "post reply" doesn’t work, and my screen goes dark.

The fuel gauge was ok. I can probably put the assembly together again—though there is the matter of those loose wires…. I'll have a look at it this morning, then scream if I need help. Want any more pics of the old fuel pump?

I dunno, maybe I will get just the pump after all and put a sock in it.

Long time since I read Hemingway. I’ll take a stab at it: Pour himself an absinthe? Feel the earth move? Say “Eff this Explorer” and the bull it rode in on, then hitch a ride in an ambulance?
You have too wait 2 to 3 minutes between post. It should have given you a message .

Hemingway would go to Key West and get blackout drunk at Sloppy’s 😂

There is no limit to posts or questions. Keep posting until your project is done!

To finish, just go to NAPA and buy the Carter pump. It comes boxed in a NAPA box, but it indicates it is a Carter pump. Unless you smashed your fuel pump assembly, or unless it is obviously rusted (very unlikely), just get the fuel pump and use your existing assembly.

Having done as much work as you have, the rest of the fuel pump replacement is fairly straightforward (But you can still ask questions).

All you have to do is loosen the retainer strap, the wiring harness, and the rubber fuel line. Install the new pump with the wiring, the fuel line, and the strap. Slide the entire assembly back into the tank, and close up your nice fuel pump access panel. You will soon be done.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————
Nice work with the Hemingway Extra Credit. I think Hemingway would go play with his six toed cats… my Momma loved those cats, and many years ago even tried to grab one on a rainy day in Key West. The folks at the Hemingway House, and everyone else standing on the balcony, saw her and were pretty upset. The six toed cat cat was also trying to get away and stay dry. Momma never did get her Hemingway six toed cat, but we laughed a lot about it.

Toney? In here? Neverrrrrrr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no limit to posts or questions. Keep posting until your project is done!

To finish, just go to NAPA and buy the Carter pump. It comes boxed in a NAPA box, but it indicates it is a Carter pump. Unless you smashed your fuel pump assembly, or unless it is obviously rusted (very unlikely), just get the fuel pump and use your existing assembly.

Having done as much work as you have, the rest of the fuel pump replacement is fairly straightforward (But you can still ask questions).

All you have to do is loosen the retainer strap, the wiring harness, and the rubber fuel line. Install the new pump with the wiring, the fuel line, and the strap. Slide the entire assembly back into the tank, and close up your nice fuel pump access panel. You will soon be done.

Nice work with the Hemingway Extra Credit. I think Hemingway would go play with his six toed cats… my Momma loved those cats, and many years ago even tried to grab one on a rainy day in Key West. The folks at the Hemingway House, and everyone else standing on the balcony, saw her and were pretty upset. The six toed cat cat was also trying to get away and stay dry. Momma never did get her Hemingway six toed cat, but we laughed a lot about it.
(But you can still ask questions). Oh thank goodness!

my Momma loved those cats How many were there, exactly?!

Here's a very affordable Bosch. EBay says it fits, but then eBay says lots of things. New Bosch Fuel Pump and Strainer for Ford Explorer, F150, F250 ,Lincoln , Mazda | eBay

What say you?

Back