Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump

It looks solid, that’s all that matters. Plus it looks like easy work if for some reason you ever need to get back in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good in my book!

Looks good. Works as it should. Nice job 👍

Thatll work! Yes I am aware thatll is not a word

Thatll work! Yes I am aware thatll is not a word
Thatll? Why not? (I was never that kind of English teacher... Besides, if you only knew how much I worried about calling car parts by the wrong name before this audience of experts!)

The electrical connector is a quite difficult to manage. Do not stick a screwdriver to it though.
If you can reach it, the tab in the center top of connector pushes in. While doing so push the connector on tighter, then try pulling it off. Most ford electrical connectors are "squeeze to release".

Careful though. That is the pressure vent sensor. It's even harder to replace the sensor than remove the connector. The L shape makes it easy to break off.

Great job cutting the access panel. If you can manage that part you got this.

How reliable/long lasting is this pressure vent sensor? I'm getting ready to cut my access hole to replace the fuel pump and was wondering if it should be replaced from a preventive maintenance standpoint. 190,000 miles on my 01 sport. With an access door, I guess I could service it at any time.

Also, what is that light blue thing in one of the op's pictures?

How reliable/long lasting is this pressure vent sensor? I'm getting ready to cut my access hole to replace the fuel pump and was wondering if it should be replaced from a preventive maintenance standpoint. 190,000 miles on my 01 sport. With an access door, I guess I could service it at any time.

Don't have an answer for your question but have you done research on exactly WHERE to cut for your 95 SPORT ?.... there's variances from "on top" reference points from 4 doors to sports.... 95-97 to 98-2001 years... be careful and accurate.

I've never heard of one failing
Must not happen often

Don't have an answer for your question but have you done research on exactly WHERE to cut for your 95 SPORT ?.... there's variances from "on top" reference points from 4 doors to sports.... 95-97 to 98-2001 years... be careful and accurate.

Thanks for your caution to be careful and accurate.

I'm working on the '01 Sport right now. I can't recall how many times I've been underneath the vehicle and on top of the rear seat floorboard, trying to establish some reference points "on top". I've got a rectangle drawn on the floorboard now. Two of the sides of the rectangle have pretty good clearance with regards to the tank and plumbing. One side of the rectangle, the one next to the driver's side wall, has plumbing within a 1/2" of the floorboard. Yikes. The other side is somewhere in between.

So, it sounds like 95, 96, 97 have similar sheet metal and dimensions, and the 98, 99, 2000, 2001 have similar sheet metal and dimensions, but the 2 "groups" may have some differences. Good to know. Our 95 is a 2-door, and I've been wondering how well my measurement would transfer to it.
Might have to make some adjustments whenever I have to do it.

Again. thanks.

Here's a link for you....but it's on a 2001 (last year of second gens) ...so it could be different once again... BUT could be identical spot...as we know it's the very back of hatch that was changed in 98 onward....so they might have left this as it was ... costs etc....
LINK>> 2 DOOR Fuel Pump Access Hole Installation

If I had your 95 sport I'd make a 2" hole dead center with holesaw bit of this guys square cutout spot, then you could scope out area with a flashlight..... if off could silicone circled cutout piece back into place lickity split.

USE ONE OF THESE.....NO SPARKS! ...WORKED GREAT FOR ME 90% of cutout ..except for high humps/overlapping metal parts...but you might not have that with your Sport:

Back