Reaction score
City, State
S.D. Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ST
Hi to All ,
Long time reader first time poster :D,
I need to replace the 4.0 in a 2003 ST.

This question sums up a choice , I have to make .
Costs are a factor .

Is installing an already rebuilt SOHC from a 99 Explorer an option?
This is an Honest Question..
What Electrical issues would I encounter if I would choose such option?

I trully appreciate your comments .
Best Regards.
Jerry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WoW A month's time and counting . Great Forum tho.
But sure glad I didn´t hold my breath for a reply.:roll:

old into new

Possibly the reason you have received no response is because most engine replacements are to newer instead of older engines. In the U.S. many states prohibit installing an older engine due to emission requirements.

I suspect that if you only use the long block there will be no difficulties replacing your 2003 SOHC V6 with a 1999. A few members have installed late model Mustang engines in their 2nd generation Explorers. They have documented the differences that required further attention on the forum. Here are two helpful links:
Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...
Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

WoW A month's time and counting . Great Forum tho.
But sure glad I didn´t hold my breath for a reply.:roll:

no response maybe because the persons who designed the trucks have other things to do.

why don't you do it and document it for the next person.

Possibly the reason you have received no response is because most engine replacements are to newer instead of older engines. In the U.S. many states prohibit installing an older engine due to emission requirements.

I suspect that if you only use the long block there will be no difficulties replacing your 2003 SOHC V6 with a 1999. A few members have installed late model Mustang engines in their 2nd generation Explorers. They have documented the differences that required further attention on the forum. Here are two helpful links:
Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...
Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

My sincere thanks for your response , the treads you have directed me to ,have helped a lot in discerning the pro and con's of such retrofit.
Regards & much respect.
Gerry.

Back