Return from Naches trail, Funy/Moon rocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Naches trail, Funy/Moon rocks

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
Goverment Meadows
100_1754Medium.jpg

100_1755Medium.jpg

Scenic views from 4500-6000FT
100_1847Medium.jpg

100_1848Medium.jpg

100_1752Medium.jpg

100_1765Medium.jpg

100_1766Medium.jpg

100_1769Medium.jpg

100_1772Medium.jpg

100_1773Medium.jpg

100_1774Medium.jpg

100_1776Medium.jpg

100_1777Medium.jpg

100_1778Medium.jpg

100_1780Medium.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even a little bit of snow by goverment meadows
100_1753Medium.jpg

Yep that root left a mark
100_1761Medium.jpg

Lunch break
100_1757Medium.jpg

Wonder how this happen?
100_1768Medium.jpg

trail travel pics
100_1759Medium.jpg

100_1762Medium.jpg

100_1763Medium.jpg

100_1764Medium.jpg

100_1770Medium.jpg

100_1771Medium.jpg

100_1775Medium.jpg

100_1849Medium.jpg

A couple of videos the first 2 of the red Jeep is Andy at the funny rocks
and the blue sport is Ben (whitetrashfab) at the moon rocks
th_100_1806.jpg

th_100_1807.jpg

th_100_1845.jpg

Funny rock pictures
100_1781Medium.jpg

100_1782Medium.jpg

100_1783Medium.jpg

100_1784Medium.jpg

100_1785Medium.jpg

100_1786Medium.jpg

100_1787Medium.jpg

100_1788Medium.jpg

100_1789Medium.jpg

100_1790Medium.jpg

100_1791Medium.jpg

100_1793Medium.jpg

100_1795Medium.jpg

100_1796Medium.jpg

100_1797Medium.jpg

100_1798Medium.jpg

100_1799Medium.jpg

100_1800Medium.jpg

100_1801Medium.jpg

100_1802Medium.jpg

100_1803Medium.jpg

100_1804Medium.jpg

100_1805Medium.jpg

100_1808Medium.jpg

100_1809Medium.jpg

100_1810Medium.jpg

100_1811Medium.jpg

100_1812Medium.jpg

100_1813Medium.jpg

100_1814Medium.jpg

100_1817Medium.jpg

100_1819Medium.jpg

100_1821Medium.jpg

100_1823Medium.jpg

100_1824Medium.jpg

Good lookin group of rigs!

Moon rocks pictures
100_1825Medium.jpg

100_1826Medium.jpg

100_1827Medium.jpg

100_1828Medium.jpg

100_1829Medium.jpg

100_1830Medium.jpg

100_1831Medium.jpg

100_1832Medium.jpg

100_1833Medium.jpg

100_1834Medium.jpg

100_1835Medium.jpg

100_1836Medium.jpg

100_1837Medium.jpg

100_1838Medium.jpg

100_1839Medium.jpg

100_1840Medium.jpg

100_1841Medium.jpg

100_1842Medium.jpg

100_1843Medium.jpg

100_1844Medium.jpg

GREAT photos!!!! Awesome!!!

...:eek:...It looks like Kevin laid it over...

...That is a good looking bunch of Explorers but it looks like there were a number of good looking Rangers too...:biggthump

What kind of timing is this? Geesh I'm figuring on going next weekend. Looks great!

We made it home in one piece, and it's not making noise....

Will post pics later. I just got home.

Long story....L O N G weekend for Speed and Trixi

Ryan

...:eek:...It looks like Kevin laid it over...

...That is a good looking bunch of Explorers but it looks like there were a number of good looking Rangers too...:biggthump

I'm at work and can't see the pics right now cause I can't see pics on my work computer that are on photobucket, but no, I did not lay anything over this weekend.

...That picture is a keeper...;)

...To bad you can't see it...:p:

Here Kitty, Kitty.....I took this photo about 100 ft. from camp...maybe less....

Cody (DiffWhackSon) and his B2...with Mount Rainier
[

Group Photos from Day2 @ Funny Rocks

Carnage Report

What a great weekend of running trails. If I leave anything out, feel free to add it in.

After arriving at camp at about 10:30pm on Thursday, we started unloading, setting up camp and moving trailers arround. Painter Ken had is truck idling for a while and when he got back to it it was overheating. We noticed the fan wasn't spinning and after shutting it down, we tried to turn it by hand and it wouldn't move. Figured it was the fan clutch, luckily we had one, so we started the replacement procedure and about 5 minutes in to it, we found a screw driver wedged in the blades, keeping it from spinning. After that was removed, it worked fine and solved the problem.

After that, Spdrcer34(Ryan) rolled into camp in his Ex with a bike rack on the back. Apparently, there is a design flaw in the rack as one of the bikes came in contact with his back hatch glass and blew it out on the freeway.

Friday we ran the Nachese Pass trail. Within the first mile of the trail, Codey, my son, learned that he had to watch both sides of the truck as he put a tree limb right into the passenger side headlight bucket. Luckily, we found another one on the trail that we used as a dummy light to look street legal by covering the gaping hole.

On the return trip, Codey got the left rear shock mount hung up on a log and high centered the rear and the front was up against some slick roots. whitetrashfab(Ben) was backing down to give him a tug and caught a tree root to a valve stem, flattening his tire. I pulled codey backwards off the log and we threw the spare on Ben's.

After that, I clipped a stump with the left front doing about 5mph. The steering wheel spun violently and then there was no steering resistance at the wheel. The sector shaft in the steering box snapped. Upon further inspection, it looks like there was already a crack in it as there was rust about 1/16th inch deep on one side. Probably happened in Moab when I lost my track bar bracket and twisted my pitman arm. We pushed my Ex off the trail and everyone went back to camp. The steering box was pulled off the BII, brought back to me on the trail and put on the Ex to get her back to camp. Ben was able to call in a part request to Chris to bring out another steering gear.

Saturday started by installing the steering gear into the BII. Good to go and we hit the road, ran into town, gassed up, and then headed off for Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks. We all played on the rocks where for a while with no carnage to report, but deffinately a couple of scary moments. Andy in his jeep took a line that required a little more wheel base and ended up hooking up to Painter Ken's Explorer with the winch to make it the last two feet up the obsticle. Codey did a nice one wheel stand on the right front coming off a ledge.

We started the trail back to camp running Shoestring to Tip Over to Kainer trail. My power steering pump had been giving me problems all day starting out with excess air, but mainly, due to a bushing wearing out in my track bar, causing my front axle to float about an inch side to side, which meant the drag link was constantly moving the pitman arm a little. This caused the fluid to heat up quick, boil, and spit out the vent hole. It got so hot once it blew the cap right off once. A hose clamp was added to help hold the cap on, but I think after 10 years of wheeling, that power stering pump has lived it's life. Even cold it howells like a banshee and there just isn't as much turning power as there used to be.

Chris dropped his right front tire into a hole and slipped the bead off. He winched himself backwards, jacked it up, and reset the bead ether style. Aired it back up and we were back on the road. Ben had a starting issue that turned out to be the vacuum line falling off the fuel pressure regulator.

We got back to camp still during daylight, but it was a long day on the trails, roughly about 10 hours or so. When we got there, Ryan was there and asked us to listen to his dry lifter and no oil pressure. See the link in this thread for more on that.

Sunday we headed back out to the rocks to play around one last time before we packed up and went home. We played there for a while and the group split, half went from Funny Rocks back over to Moon Rock, and Painter Ken, Codey, and myself headed back to camp to pack up and get on the road. Just as we were leaving, we saw Forest coming back solo in his BII. He informed us that he was back to get Chris's Truck and trailer. I didn't get the full updae on that but heard that he snaped a rea axle and when Forest left to get the trailer, they were winching him straight up something.

Overall it was an hell of a weekend. Lots of fun and good times with friends, new and old.

First I put the explorer on its side and dented the door a little but I was able to back out of it and put it back on its wheels without help from a winch. Its the same spot DWD has his tire way up in the air, I made it the day before but I just took a little different line the next time that tiped me into the rock wall. Someone has a funny pic of me leaning on my side.

Then Chris wanted to try that nasty line that crawled down a rock trench and up a steep ledge that turned as you went up. Half way in he snaped his 8.8 driver side axle. Andy used his winch to pull him up the ledge and Chris used his winch over to another rock to keep him from rolling over while he was winched out. The axle keept sliding out so Andy and Chris tried to use a highlift jack and some straps to keep the axle in but it keept getting cought in the tire. Chris figured it was time to upgrade from the 8.8 so he just started to drive back on three wheels. This would have worked fine except for all the roots on the trail comming back to the road would catch his axle so I ended up draging him him all the way back to another friends camp so he could be loaded on the trailer. We drug the truck so far that it ground the U bolts off and the housing twisted under the truck. Basicly the only thing left on the drivers side houseing is a sliver of the top of the axle tube and a little of the spring pad, the rest is ground off. Chris hit the road and we went back to camp and loaded my explorer up and Ryans for the drive home.

One of our friends have some pics of this on face book if you want to check them out. My camera craped out about an hour before Chris broke so Ashley and Andy have all the pics. It was a fun trip and I cant wait to do another one, thanks again to everyone.

I guess if your gonna swap the entire axle, there really isn't any reason to be nice the old :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turns out Chris also broke the pasenger side front stub axle in the recovery mission right where it enters the hub also. He is getting an explorer axle, 31 spline should be a little stronger then the 28 spline ranger axle he broke. It looked like the axle was already stress cracked before it broke... this is not the first time this has happened to Chris and its not the last...

Thanks for the video and pic's everyone!

Back