Return from rubicon 2005 Death of the explorers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from rubicon 2005 Death of the explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
function? air flow? supercharger? hahaha
Just help get some of that hot air out of there, especially since my shock reservoirs are above the engine.

410Fortune said:
I'll say, thats nice flex for a wristed arm setup....actually for any setup! hahaha
Yeah, that’s for sure. :thumbsup:

ssdd said:
The springs are 10" skyjacker tj "jeep coils" they work great. was using eb and ranger coils but they did not flex. the tj's work sweet. the arms i built. i have alittle fab side business here in the bay area. The front end is a standard 3 link with the pass side being fully wristed. Works well. :D

How much would you charge for some arms? I will be building my SAS next spring, and I would like some flex please :D

Stic, you could also talk to Tom Davis about the arms cause used to have a Navajo SAS. You can purchase arms already made for the early Bronco's that should work, especially since you are using a D44 with Bronco tabs. Kevin, king of the rollover posse, has a nice set on his that flex nearly as well as Jefe's.

Looking at the carnage list, I am almost glad I stayed in Southern California. ;) ....Almost.... :rolleyes:

There are actully lots of arm and crossmember kits to choose from these days...I am still waiting for one of the solid axle guys to do a 3-4 link rear :) to match. I know the leafs on explorers get some wicked flex, but the mcneil explorers get much more, and those pesky leaf spring hangers go away.

410Fortune said:
I am still waiting for one of the solid axle guys to do a 3-4 link rear :) to match.
I've been thinking about a 4 link with air bags............ ;)

410Fortune said:
There are actully lots of arm and crossmember kits to choose from these days...I am still waiting for one of the solid axle guys to do a 3-4 link rear :) to match. I know the leafs on explorers get some wicked flex, but the mcneil explorers get much more, and those pesky leaf spring hangers go away.

I plan to 4 link the rear ;) Just got to get the front end done, and the gas tank moved.

why air bags? Just use coils :)

LOL. . yeah, I think we ALL dream of 3 or 4 linked rears. . .now who's going to be the next to do one?

i was going to go four link rear and gave up on the idea because in order to support the weight on "wheelin" trips you would have to run coil overs or airbags that are adjustable. i was impressed on the flex and load capacity and i am going to stay with leaves. simple is better and they also will not have a high failure rate. just my two cents :D

subscribe so I can read this later

There is a way to link the rear without removing the gas tank.

I've seen it done on zuk's, which have the same clearance type of problems.

Now, to find a guinea pig to do it on..

Mcneil explorer's are linked this way, however they have those large prerunner style trailing arms that are not rock or ground clearance friendly.

I will ahve a 3-4 link rear end eventually, no more floor behind the front seats :)

If you are doing a linked rear the gas tank shouldnt be a problem, run a fuel cell or work around it....Jeeps are 4 link coil sprung rear and I have never seen a problem with load carrying or trail use???

You dont HAVE to use coilovers and or airbags...you dont even have to cut up the floor...you can do cantilevered shocks, there are so many ways its not even funny.

If you are doing a linked rear the gas tank shouldnt be a problem, run a fuel cell or work around it....Jeeps are 4 link coil sprung rear and I have never seen a problem with load carrying or trail use???

You dont HAVE to use coilovers and or airbags...you dont even have to cut up the floor...you can do cantilevered shocks, there are so many ways its not even funny.[/QUOTE]

please let me know what coils you are using because the weight ;) of my rig changes between a day trip and a week at the con. if they are made i will by them. also you ever seen a coiled jeep loaded to the gills on the con........pretty much bouncin off the bumpstops. and fuel cells in cali, not smog legal, wish they were.

they are not smog legal because they lack the fuel fill restrictor.
You dont ahve to run a cell to relocate the tank, a BII tank can fit or any other center mounted EFI unit can be made to work
Fuel cell = filled with foam

Grand Cherokees are just as heavy as a 4 door ex, they haev coil sprung solid 4 link rears, there are lots of coils available for those. Also having a coil made at places like National spring or Eibach is not that expensive.

but i have yet to see one that handled or had held their height loaded or unloaded. i was just on the con with cherokees and they were having the same issues. unloaded sat level and handled, loaded bouncing off bump stops. also know what a fuel cell is. before i got into rock crawling i raced for ford in a class 7 open desert truck in the best in the desert and score series. won 7 years of over all championships as well in that class. so my knowledge of coils/coilovers and spring rates are very decent.

my old ford, at the start to vegas to reno, full of fuel, even with coilovers sat low untill the fuel level and the weight dropped. not trying to argue, just see it from your point of view

http://www.off-road.com/race/bitd/1999/tt250/7210.jpg

put airbags inside the coils....
or use stiffer coils if you plan to wheel when loaded. Heck I know people who have two sets, one spring rate for driving, one for the trail

i agree, i am just to lazy anymore to put that much time in to it. :rolleyes:

i just wanna wheel :D

What about these dual rate coil-overs? Wouldn’t they give you both?

Attachments

• dual rate king.jpg
    dual rate king.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 311

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my new rear system :D should work well with the new 60" tires I've got coming ;)

Attachments

• bump-01.jpg
    bump-01.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 319
  • droop-01.jpg
    droop-01.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 306
  • rear_side1a.jpg
    rear_side1a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 305

Back