Return from TDS

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Well, since i'm the first one back from TDS I get to give the report. Rick ended up not coming out so it was BKennedy and a friend of his with a Samurai, Jefe, Bro of Jefe and myself. They had set up camp up on a mesa away from the madness below. There must have been 500 to 700 rigs @ TDS if I had to guess and thats not including the motor homes and tow rigs. More than half of the rigs were jeeps but there was a little bit of everything there.
First thing we did was head over to the vendors area and check things out. It was getting pretty warm already by mid morning so we decided to hit the trails.
We didn't have a real game plan of where we wanted to go but thats the beauty of T-haven, you just point and any direction and say lets go there and just go!
We noticed a large crowd was gathered over by an obstacle called the waterfall so we went to have a look see for ourselves. On the way over, Jefe found a nice sized rock to test his flex out. Pretty impressive as he got his tire on top of a 5.5 foot rock AND finally lifts a rear tire. Not to be out done, Bro of Jefe takes a whack at it. Equally impressive flex too as he gets a tire on top
too but thats not enough, he tries a different angle and gets TWO tires on top:eek: He inched forward even more and thats when disaster struck...WHAM! he flops over on the side from 5 feet high. He was ok and suprisingly the jeep suffered minimal damage. But wait theres more:D None of us had a winch but the Tin Benders were driving by so we they were glad to give us a hand with one of their winches. The way John (Bro of Jefe) was wedged in there he couldnt simply be winched on all fours, he had to be winched until his tires touched the rock he just fell off and then back down it...worked like a charm. If you know anything about the Tin Benders they are a wild but cool bunch of guys. Of of the rigs in their group was a Toybuggy...basicly a tube chassis on a Toyota frame, he gives the rock a try in his buggy and guess what he ends up on his side too. Now when you belong to the Tin Benders you find unique ways to exctract yourself and in this case if you have 2 wheels touching the ground you still have some kind of traction right? He gassed the buggy and turned the steering wheel and drove it to upright position...amazing.
We finally made it over to the waterfall and there was a HUGE crowd there. The Toybuggy was taking his first run up the waterfall, he hit the first bump, got the front wheels airborn while heavy on the throttle and bang went his T-case output shaft. Some of the Azusa canyon mud guys were there in their fullsized beasts. One of them started up the middle but his buddy cut him off on the right and left him him the dust, everyone was cheering...classic! After an hour of that we went back out on the trails. BKennedy wanted to find a trail we went on last time that involved a hill climb then hooked to the right on the descent and had a very steep face...well Brian managed to find it and it was just as hairy as last time. This was Brians friend Dan (Suzuki)
first time off roading so he must have crapped a brick over that obstacle:p We drove on a little more after that then found a wash and headed back to camp. Jefe at some point took a different path other than the main wash we were on to get ahead of us...Brian was leading and I was behind him and then Dan and Bro of Jefe followed. We heard a faint "help" in between the other CB traffic on there but didn't realize it was Jefe.
Brian and me pull over and Dan came up to tell us Jefe just flopped over on his side. Appearantly Jefe took a twisty section too fast and tipped his rig over. Out came the strap and Bro of Jefe got him back on all fours. A broken drivers side mirror and dented rear panel was all the damage sustained...no broken windows.
Later that night we went on a night run in the little ditches. Another huge crowd gathered at the larger ditches...seemed like half of TDS was there. There was a real off camber section rigs were driving through and quite a few of them rolled it but maybe on purpose to get cheers from the crowd. We ended up doing another run after that mayhem til about midnight. Perfect wheelin weather, full moon and mild temps...we were having so much fun I don't think we realized how late it was. We got back to camp and I aired up and headed home...it was a hell of a day.
I'll post pics later after I resize them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics Pics Pics!

Attachments

• image17.jpg
    image17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 341

Getting snaked by his buddy:

Attachments

• image26.jpg
    image26.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 336

Jefe's flopover:

Attachments

• image35.jpg
    image35.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,231

Tin Benders Toybuggy:

Attachments

• image22.jpg
    image22.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 331

Crowd at the waterfall:

Attachments

• image31.jpg
    image31.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 344

Just gotta love having all that horsepower on tap:

Attachments

• image29.jpg
    image29.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 348

ToyBuggy just before he flops:

Attachments

• image23.jpg
    image23.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 342

HHHHAAAAA!! O' my god!:eek: Well we always knew a rollcage was coming for Jefe! Just not so soon!:rolleyes:

Jefe...Jefe.... Jefe what are gonna do with you! :nono: :nono:

However I didn't think I'd see the the Jeep on it's side!:D

I can't wait to hear this Story!:p

Glad to hear little damage and everyone OK! Sorry Jefe I only have a spare pass. mirror I could give you..But not a driver side:banghead:

I don't think we've ever had two nominations to the RollOver Posse from the same trip..

I'll bet there is more damage to that door than the broken mirror. Been there, done that. :D

Same trip, same day, same family! What are the odds on that? One-up-manship taken to whole new levels! Oh, Yeah, I bet I can roll better than you!

What a weekend!

I'd just post a link to pics, but my website is giving fits at the moment. . .if it decides to work all the pics are posted on it.

Here's a couple:

John's Roll:
SANY0002.jpg

Up
SANY0006.jpg

And on all fours again
SANY0008.jpg

And the T-haven Tunnel:
SANY0011.jpg

Thats all the pics I shot. I've got 1.7GB of video from my webcam though, including my rollover :)

John's roll made it on PBB, and the author had a nice pic of it from the front, but it has disappeared for some reason.

The comment on the pic was:

"and the only rock in truckhaven, this guy flopped on :D"

Sorry about the flops guys! Hope it all works out!

Originally posted by tdavis
I'll bet there is more damage to that door than the broken mirror. Been there, done that. :D
The door doesn't apear to have pressed in at all. . must be making the mirrors out of even cheaper plastic these days.

Originally posted by BKennedy
Same trip, same day, same family! What are the odds on that? One-up-manship taken to whole new levels! Oh, Yeah, I bet I can roll better than you!
hmm. . must be on a subconcious level

Originally posted by Robb
"and the only rock in truckhaven, this guy flopped on :D"
LOL

My Roll Video:
1:15, 3.5MB (Right click, Save As) [requires DivX codec]

We were cruisin down the wash, i was near last and figured i'd pass some rigs up. I fly past the zuk, and catch up to dave, see a place to pass and take it, only to find that it leads me down another wash. I couldn't remember whether the washes joined back or not, and not wanting to loose them, I find my way out, and then found a path back into the correct wash. In any rational state I would have taken the path back down in low and 1st, since you'd have to keep a tire on the wall to keep from going over. . .but i didn't take time to examine it, and continued pushing the go pedal since I could hear the zuk coming down the wash. . .you can see him pass a few frames before the camera & mirror hit the wall.

Originally posted by Jefe
The door doesn't apear to have pressed in at all. . must be making the mirrors out of even cheaper plastic these days.

The area where the mirror mounts is probably moved in.

Originally posted by Jefe
Thats all the pics I shot. I've got 1.7GB of video from my webcam though, including my rollover :)

That must have been one LONG cord, or on a laptop:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by tdavis
I don't think we've ever had two nominations to the RollOver Posse from the same trip..
You and me at Moab 2000? :D

Great pics and writeup, Dave! Sorry I couldn't make it.

Back