Photos - Return from Tellico.. and the marks it left behind. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photos Return from Tellico.. and the marks it left behind.

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
well.. guess i'll start this off. i'm sure gerald will do one of his wonderful writeups so i'll keep mine simple.

met up with everyone except josh adams at the campground on friday night. installed my locker there with much appreciated help from kris and the rest of the gang.

saturday turned out to be a really nice day... or at least it started that way. saturday morning we headed out for the trails and split into two groups.. big dawgs and smaller dawgs. every single fourwheeler (atv or quad for those non-southerners) in the state of north carolina managed to be on the trails that we were on at the same time. gerald lead the smaller group which consisted of gerald, josh adams (and his passengers), josh c, travis (josh c's brother for those that don't know), and myself. patrick (gasouthern1) rode with me most of the day. gerald did a great job leading us along the trails. i love the locker! easily my best mod to date. i found myself crawling up rocks somewhat effortlessly (if that's a word) that would have taken a lot more skinny pedal before. everyone did a great job. this was travis's first time on rock type trails, but he managed to pull through it all without a problem.

travis was the first oops. nothing bad.. his power steering fluid cap came off somehow. it was a nice smokeshow but was fixed quickly. i claimed the secon oops twice (the second time we figured out where the first one came from). a root on the bank just jumped out and left its mark on me. apparently it had a grudge against me as i'm the only one that it attacked, and it attacked me twice. woohoo.. my first real body damage!
i'm not going to go into much detail about the main carnage. i'll let the vehicle owner talk about it. i'll just say it wasn't pretty. i'll just post a pic of where it got the most interesting. and in that picture.. gerald isn't pulling me out of the creek...

i don't know much about what the big dawg group went through so i'll let them post their stuff later.

this morning (sunday) wasn't a nice day. it started pouring shortly after we all got up. i decided i didn't want to walk around on the trails in the rain so i packed up my stuff.
josh adams left the night before. josh c and travis left this morning early. the rest off us went to eat breakfast were we saw a bunch of folks that had helped us out tremendously the night before. i headed home after breakfast and the other guys went back to the campground. i don't know if they went ahead and rode or not. it was raining when i drove off.

vehicles consisted of:
michael
randall (mudd*****)
kris
rick (bionic marsh)
gerald
josh c
travis
josh adams
me

Attachments

• creek.jpg
    creek.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 770

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is my reminder. its a nice scratch through the paint. the metal is also creased along the scratch. pretty!

more pics of the weekend will come soon....

Attachments

• scars.jpg
    scars.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 744

Looks like fun!

And Jason I would like to formally welcome you to the quarter panel body damage club :D

I can't wait to hear about what happened........

Glad it turned out well! I can't wait for more details (and pics!) :D

Originally posted by diablo5969
Glad it turned out well! I can't wait for more details (and pics!) :D

details details....there are TONS of details and pics...

Nope, this story is for you guys, I'll sit back and not say much.

Hmmm, Iwouldn't exactly say it "turned out well", especially for JoshC. :(

I didn't take any pictures, already been here and done that. I had a great time meeting new faces, but Saturday was the second-longest day I've ever spent on a trail. Ask the rest who were there.

I'll stay silent on this thread in order to leave the first impressions of Tellico to hear it firsthand from all of the participants. I will say that it was great to meet explorerforum members again both old and new. Josh Adams was the surprize of the trip for me but I'll let him tell his own story as I will all the others to tell their own. Josh ran a "Superstock" Ranger with 33.5" tires and limited slip and did great, even with swaybars connected. Rocksliders got VERY used on this trip. jasonb, my new deputy whom I left and who still owes me a beer, got his first real body damage/Tellico pinstriping. Twice. In the same place, LOL. The point of this paragraph is that, yes, "superstock" Explorers can do Tellico and do good at it, but if you don't have rocksliders, it's gonna hurt. And other body parts can still get hit. Jason crawled anywhere he wanted with his new Powertrax so I'll leave his story to him too.

Michael got creamed on Schoolbus and lost side mirror and rear side glass (that expensive piece). Travis blew up his power steering, Rick (Bionc Marsh) left lotsa fender molding molding on Trail 4, and my memory fails on the rest.

Except for Josh C. He needs to tell his own story. As for me on that day, that was the longest day I've spent on Tellico so far. Saturday was brutal, it was very long, an Explorer was very broke, a very large group of people were involved in the recovery, it was very dark before we got back to camp, and the event was the topic of town the next day at breakfast.

To all those with the kahunas to show up, welcome to Tellico and be proud you've made the trip! There are no greater bragging rights in the east, and I cannot wait to meet up again.

I've said enough, I had a great time, and I write too much already. Let's have one of you other guys with fresher impressions post a trip report of what you thought of Tellico now that you've been here. Let's hear it and post your pics :bounce:

Thanks to all my fellow Texans - Kris, Micael, Randall - for driving all the way out here and bringing some Texas bock beer, and to Rick for bringing his homemade :chug: I owe you all on the trade , now that we've found out how lousy Carolina beers are :rolleyes: :D

Crawford's Campground did not disappoint and was first class all the way with great facilities, spotless showers, and places to play before you hit the real trails in Tellico. I heard that before I arrived, Randall got his rig hung in the rock garden and lifted out by a tractor, gotta hear more about that one :)

Kris, you did not see enough of Tellico, and that was a long way to come for not much. I expect you here next time for more of a tour :roll: :D

Now I really really want to know what happened. And I especially want to see more pics.

I am guessing something bad happened to josh's ride? like maybe a roll or major breakage?

Major Breakage. Severe rear axle wrap, then front track bar breakage, then removal of front and rear driveshafts to get off of the mountain, little/no steering 50 yds at a time, blown front right bead tire/rim, etc, other stuff I am surely forgetting, then front coil spring ballistically shwzinging out: initial breakage sometime around 1pm, got into camp after midnight, inbetween those times we blocked the river crossing on Trail 5 (swift current, big boulders, deep water) for at least a couple of hours and shut down all of central Tellico for the entire afternoon since no one could get around us until we dragged it outta the river sans tires, power, driveshafts, steering ability, etc. Lotsa people were initially amused, then severly pissed, then greatly motivated to help in order to get us the heck out of the way. At least two dozen helpers formed, two with winches and one of those blew a U-joint in midriver cold water while pulling, the others manually turning what was left of the front end during a winch pull after others went underwater in freezing river runoff to wrap winchlines around the front, etc etc etc and it still took a couple of hours, two winch lines, multiple strapping points and snatchblock angle sets on trees, more etc etc etc, before we got it to where we could set a strap and pull up out of that river. Then we still had to go into camp, get Rick's rig and Josh's trailer, bring a trailor into Tellico, then winch his rig up onto the trailor, then.

Oh wait. I promised I would leave the story to others. Never mind. Just take my word, it was a heckuva long day, okay?

That really sucks! I am sorry to hear about the problems and I am curious what has caused them. But I really want to see pictures. Sorry to hear about your sh!ty day and really sorry to hear about your truck Josh.

Sounds like an interesting trip. Do you still swap out the good/bad front bumpers, Gerald? I sure hope that is your bad one in that pic...:eek:

:) Hey not that big a thing. It's wheelin. The thing is to learn what don't work and fix it stronger and have more fun the next time out. The only thing I think I might humbly mutter for future reference is that Tellico may not the best place to test a new mod. Only my opinion, and we all have those, so take it or leave it as you wish.

Live and learn and then go on and wheel!

PS thats my old bumper; I've still got all my old crap on. I'll fix it all sometime this summer. :D

So in that picture above is that you pulling jason and jason pulling josh, looks like his drivers wheel is ****ed to the right.

Originally posted by GJarrett
:) Hey not that big a thing. It's wheelin. The thing is to learn what don't work and fix it stronger and have more fun the next time out. The only thing I think I might humbly mutter for future reference is that Tellico may not the best place to test a new mod. Only my opinion, and we all have those, so take it or leave it as you wish.

Live and learn and then go on and wheel!

Problem is I think he felt (as did I seeing his pics) that he tested it well around home.... Lesson learned by me when I take mine out for its inugral trip to Attica I am getting a trailer to tow it out on just in case.... ;)

Originally posted by taxxman2k
So in that picture above is that you pulling jason and jason pulling josh, looks like his drivers wheel is ****ed to the right.

you could say that....

and yes that's gerald pulling me pulling josh. that's where the tire blew off the bead. i don't want to tell josh's story b/c well.. i wouldn't want someone speaking for me in this kind of situation. i'm going to refrain from posting pics of his damage until he gives feedback. before breakage though... he was walking over stuff pretty dang good.

here's another shot of that river crossing.. you can see the wheels position much better.

and btw... you never want to be the one in the middle of the lineup with gerald in lead going through a river full of boulders that you can't see. he doesn't slow down! BAM! BANG! SCREECH! BAM! :D

Attachments

• river.jpg
    river.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 671

oh come on!!! :mad:

i just typed up a good long reply... and upon hitting "post" i get the good ole site not found. lost all of it. i'm not retyping all that.

it was fun. trails were awesome! damage occured. my locker and sliders are great.
i'm putting pics on my site and will link it here later. here is the only good pic i got of my truck. maybe i'll type that reply again at work tomorrow.

Attachments

• jasonb-truck.jpg
    jasonb-truck.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 648

Couldnt you have just of hit the back button and returned to all that you wrote? Looking forward to the pics.

Originally posted by Texplorer
Couldnt you have just of hit the back button and returned to all that you wrote? Looking forward to the pics.

yeah.. usually that works.. it didn't this time. i tried. that happened the last time i typed a long reply too. guess i won't type so much again without doing a "cntrl+c" before hitting reply.

on and one thing to add...

i won't tell anyone that i got to pull josh adams off a big culvert :p

Hey guys I have not even got home yet but I wanted say I had a great time. Gerald, dont worry I will be back to tellico for more fun and carnage...

speaking of carnage...

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture020.jpg

HQ62.jpg

HQ53.jpg

Jasonb, didnt you take a nice picture of the big dawg's coming down fain's ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah.. here it is.. like i said though.. it looks like the ledge is like 6" in the pic.

and one other thing... there are some crazy rigs out there.. stuff only a drunk guy in a garage could make.. but they work!

Attachments

• kris.jpg
    kris.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 620

Back