Return from the California End of Summer Run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the California End of Summer Run

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Well We made it back! Wow what a run.

Bkenndy, Goliath, Positive Vibes, and Myself did Swamp Lake on Friday. Took us 10 Hrs. to complete the 13 Mile run. Started at about 11AM on the trail and got back to camp around 9:30 PM and very tired. I got some picture and videos of some of it. Great run and we all made it with out to much carnage. :rolleyes:

Saturday a few others showed up and we took it easy and did a lite run to Brewer Lake. Very easy going.

Sunday we were to tired still from Friday, and Every thing was going to take at least 5 Hrs. to run. So we all split for home.

Great run Guys! :thumbsup:

I will update with some more details and pics. later. I still have to go unload the truck! :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great Time

HI, This trip was great i had a good time i would like to thank goliath for letting me ride with him. it was awsome. even though i almost wet my self at the end of the trail when he almost mashed the jeep. thank you all for a good time i enjoyed meeting you. i look forward to seeing some pics.

Swamp trail ranks as one of the few trails that I havent done yet but want to do. So brian how does swamp compare to the rubicon? Wish I could have made the trip. Next summer we should try to get a group together to run Dusy Ershim trail.

RockRanger said:
Swamp trail ranks as one of the few trails that I havent done yet but want to do. So brian how does swamp compare to the rubicon? Wish I could have made the trip. Next summer we should try to get a group together to run Dusy Ershim trail.

Bryan said after we finished that it was pretty close to Rubi. And a guy we meet that worked for the Forest service as a Mapper said that Swamp is just as hard if not harder then Dusy. Dusy is Just 3x Longer. That made me feel pretty dam good.

i made it back in one piece. a little pocket empty from a "fire fine" that cost me 270 dollars. I think the guys know what im talking about. It was a sweet trip though, except when I had to leave sunday at four in the morning to go to work at 9am back home. thanks for the ride again derrick. maybe next time my broncoII will be done so I don't have to leave my 2wd mounty.

~fire marshal Bill

p.s. I'm never going to cook chicken again.

This was one trip I wont forget, Great meeting everyone. Hope to do another get together some time soon. Thanks go out to Derrick for letting me ride along, Your realy kewl bro. Also fun getting plastered with ya.

Picture Time

The Group Starting Swamp Lake

12287Group1.jpg

Bkennedy

12287Bryan1-med.jpg

12287Bryan2-med.jpg

Golith

12287Josh1-med.jpg

Stic-o

12287Me1-med.jpg

Positive Vibe

12287Derick1-med.jpg

12287Derick2-med.jpg

Some of our views

Summit of Swamp (Grouse Lake)

12287Lake1.jpg

Swamp Lake

12287view2-med.jpg

Summit

12287view1-med.jpg

Another Group picture Day 2

12287Group2-med.jpg

..and some Carnage for ya :D

What my Front Cross member should look like and use to look like :rolleyes:

12287good-med.jpg

...and what it looks like now after this weekend

12287Bad1-med.jpg

:(
12287bad2-med.jpg

I'll be taking donations for my SAS swap in the future now. :rolleyes:

haha heres the story.. theres this strict rule about putting your fires out before you leave your camp, anyways, I thought one of my friends was staying at the camp site with a Barbeque pit that I had left some chicken cooking on. Well it turned out my friend came with us on the run and we left the BBQ on. BIG NO NO! We came back and I had totally forgot about the chicken. The fire rangers came down and sited me with a whopping 270 dollar fine for not putting it out and leaving it unattended!!!! agghh!!! man it sucked. i didnt even get to eat my chicken.

Oh shoot that sucks! 270 seems kinda steep, but at least the forest didn't burn down lol...big bummer about the chicken man :( At least you guys could BBQ there. I was in Big Bear this weekend riding and the only thing you could have was a little propane stove :(

If you've got video, and your an Elite Explorer, go here for a place to put them.

Yes, this is an non-announced feature for Elite Explorers.

Great Run!

The Swamp was very much like the Rubicon, and seemed more rocky. It never lets up, just one rock garden after another and all these tight little spots between trees, plus one long steep granite hill. I loved it, even though we got back to camp at 930pm and I was a little worried about my daughter not having her dinner. The scenery was breathtaking.

I would rate that as one of the hardest trails I have ever done and would do it again. I got some minor body damage on both rear corners, and a lot of new scrape marks on my sliders. And my digital camera got dropped (Sarah is still saying she is sorry) and is destroyed. The only problem was it burnt us out for the rest of the weekend. I felt real relaxed and mello the next day and did not want to do much of anything.

tdavis said:
If you've got video, and your an Elite Explorer, go here for a place to put them.

Yes, this is an non-announced feature for Elite Explorers.

Why thank you Tom! I do have video! :D I'll try to mess with it when I get home from work. ;)

Sweet pics guys! Man thats some serious wheelin. I've socked my cross member a few times but sure as hell didn't crunch it up like a tin can! Were you all running 35's?

nice.

Nitrous SSC said:
Sweet pics guys! Man thats some serious wheelin. I've socked my cross member a few times but sure as hell didn't crunch it up like a tin can! Were you all running 35's?

33's :rolleyes: That's why it's crushed like a tin can :banghead:

Stic-o said:
33's :rolleyes: That's why it's crushed like a tin can :banghead:

I can take pics and dimensions of my superlift skidplate for you. Im sure you could get it built at a local welding shop for cheap.

Premier said:
I can take pics and dimensions of my superlift skidplate for you. Im sure you could get it built at a local welding shop for cheap.

I think at this point I not gonna worry about it. Just try not to hit it anymore and start saving far a SAS. My Father In-law just bought a new truck and wants to get rid of his Arrowstar(Ford offered him $150), So I'm gonna see if I can clean it up and sell it for some cash.

Fantastic run!

Thanks everyone for coming I had a great time. Thanks Josh for helping work on my truck.

The Swamp was the hardest trail I've ever run also but I would do it again in a heart beat. But next time we need better camp sites not so dam close to the road.

Again thanks and when and where are we wheeling next???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome run... :D

I had a great time and can't wait to wheel again.
Steve, thanks for setting this run up.
Swamp lake was the most intense run I have ever done.
A big thanks to all in attendance.

Carnage list...

front bumper bashed by rock ... pound it out
chunks missing from rear tires tread ... shimming going down the road
radius arm bushings turned to mush by front locker ... 40$
axle piviot bushings destroyed by front locker ... 40$
steering stabilizer bent like a pretzel ... 60$
shreaded cooling fan and clutch ... 100$
landing on my rockslliders so hard my teeth hurt ... ouch
Accidently spraying a jeep with dirt ... stupid mistake
running a rubicon class trail that is supposed to be jeeps only ... :cool: PRICELESS :cool:

Back