Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

me and greg made it home about 4:30, man did i miss my 5.0 ex on the trip the poor old 2.9 got a hell of a work out coming back a crossed kansas have to try and get the 69 b-2 done some time in the future. I had a great time and hope i can make it on the next trip, i'll have to load up some pics. my phone pics are to small, but the ones on my dig cam are some good ones of the group and the area. but i can only take so many taking up the rear and flying solo. only carnage i had was a broken rim that i found before we started
black bear. sway bar switch worked great,
( happy jack's bds lift flexed great on the ranger) just need to get the add a leaf for my spring packs hint!! hint!! but all in all a great trip and meet alot of great people and some old family freinds i won't soon forget.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Telluride Rottary Club used to do a run limited to 100 vehicles once a year up from Teluride. Not sure it is still done. I never made that run.

The thing is big ore trucks used to drive up those switch backs to the mine and bring ore down. Course they couldn't turn. They just went forward up one section and backed up another.

At Red River NM there used to be a trail called Middle Fork Lake that was way tighter than Black Bear. And the way you went up and down it was like the ore trucks did on Black Bear. Drive up one section and then back up the next. Thing is where do you start backing?

and i would like to thank John and Sheri for getting me there and Greg and Phillip for getting me back, i would have liked to stay longer but i could not
and my cb was on my sh*t list so i could'nt say good bye to john and sheri
:salute::salute:

...I like that first pic of Black Bear Rd...Although nobody has commented their thoughts on that section of the road yet, I think the picture speaks for itself...:D

I was like oh f*ck what did these crazy people talk me in too and i was still blocked in on the rear and the first switch back was oh hell here we go again
but it was a great trail and the ranger did great thank's again jack you made it a great lillte truck

I got a small chance to hang out with everyone. I enjoyed meeting everyone and I hope next time, I will get the chance to wheel with everybody. I am finally back home.

Jon and Sheri have fun on Tomichi and let me know how it goes!

I made it home at midnight last night - 2 long days of driving.

It was so worth it! What a great trip!

I'll do a write-up and post some pictures in the next few days.

Can't wait 'til next year!

Well, Tuesday started out as a fine day, as we meandered up to St. Elmo. We stopped to take a few pictures and headed on up to Tincup. The trail was extremely knarly, however we took our time as we soaked in the rays of sun and scenery. Along the way we saw several choice campsites along beaver dams.
On the way down from the summit is where it began. We took a side road to check out a prime campsite ( which I marked on GPS BTW) and went in a bit too deep. I guess the road turned ATV on my ass and we got all hooked up. All alone and off the path. Ooops

I was able to get us backed out, at the expense of a driver cv axle.

ok, out comes all the stuff, spare cv pulled out of the tub and we are back on the road in about 30 minutes.

ok, now it is getting to be about 4:00 PM, so we decided the fastest and best way off the mountain was down Cumberland trail, over to the alpine tunnel loop ( which is supposed to be a 1---?????) and then back up Hancock. After all, Hancock is only a 5 trail right?

Well, the scenic trip up and over the Cumberland pass was nice, however we really expected to make good time on the alpine tunnel trail. This turned out to be at least a 3 rated trail, with exposed embedded rock covering about 90% of the road. No way would I ever take a 2wd vehicle there, however the trail guide book says it is a fine 2wd road.

At this time I must say how unreliable that book is.

Back to the trail, we turned up Hancock and OMG what did I do? We chose to navigate this thing in the difficult direction, as it is a 5 rating traveling toward ST Elmo--4 traveling away. We were heading the bad direction, and it was getting late. In front of us loomed about 9 miles of 18" boulders scattered up what they call a road--ha

About 1.5 miles into the 9 mile hell we broke cv #2 on the driver side when I got us into a very tight turn, got onto a rock at full right turn lock and gave it gas. Another mistake, as we could have taken a route around this obstacle. If I had been a bit more skilled I would have gotten out and walked both routes. Bummer--so here we are on a very small hill crest to get the truck level enough to change the cv AGAIN!!. Good thing I decided to take all I had with me.
ok, we get the grease wiped off, pack up the tools and decide it is best to plug on and not go back thru what we already had, however, we had 8 more miles of it--

We completed Hancock very slowly, in locked 2wd low so as not to stress the last axle in our possession, and completed The trail in darkness. We emerged back onto paved road about 9:00 PM --battered, bruised and still trying to decide if that was fun or not.

Tincup , and Hancock, and , especially Alpine tunnel trail are under rated by the trail guide IMO--be careful out there guys!!!

Wow Jon that sounds like quite the adventure, glad you were able to get fixed up and back to the highway. You sure you were on the right Tincup? LOL. I dont remember that trail being that bad. Were you using the Wells guidebook?

We completed Hancock very slowly, in locked 2wd low so as not to stress the last axle in our possession, and completed The trail in darkness. We emerged back onto paved road about 9:00 PM --battered, bruised and still trying to decide if that was fun or not.

Tincup , and Hancock, and , especially Alpine tunnel trail are under rated by the trail guide IMO--be careful out there guys!!!

Yow! Quite the adventure. I'm glad you came well equipped:chug:

What may have been an easy trail when the book was written could easily become a much tougher trail over time. All depends on erosion, and maintenance. If no one is maintaining the trail it will quickly degrade due to erosion.

Some pics:

100_4116.jpg
100_3996.jpg
100_3929.jpg
100_3928.jpg
100_3751.jpg
100_3715.jpg

holey moley Jon!! glad you made it out safe, hope you were prepared to spend an evening in the truck... wheeling alone is a no no, but um yeah when the book says 3 and you end up on a 5.......lets just say it happens.

Tin cup was a walk in the park last time I was up there, even a Subaru was up there with us, but a bit of rain and this can change in a matter of days

Looks like a blast, we will not miss this next year!! We were able to do Jenny Creek trail over the weekend, so its almost like we were there! at least wheeling in CO at the same time even if we were 400 miles apart LOL

...I like that first pic of Black Bear Rd...Although nobody has commented their thoughts on that section of the road yet, I think the picture speaks for itself...:D

I like that picture, too!

That one step was interesting - I went way left, and came down real easy. Those that weren't as far to the left had a fun time when the left front dropped off the rock! (Just ask bronco2guy!)

100_3928.jpg

explain please??? who? what? why no parachute?

There was a cable before the switchbacks on Black Bear. Some guy was swinging out on it over the gorge. The cable had a loop with a towel held on by duct tape. You grab the cable, run, and jump over the edge, and hold on for your life till you swing back to land!

I have to say this one of the best trips I have been on. It will deffinately be something I will look forward to every year, the veiws where amazing, and the company was great. Brian thanks for putting all off this together, and I look forward to next year wheelin with all you guys. I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I figure out why my camera has died. Glad to hear everyone made it home safe. Sadly Im back at work but will look forward to next year.

We took a side road to check out a prime campsite ( which I marked on GPS BTW) and went in a bit too deep. I guess the road turned ATV on my ass and we got all hooked up. All alone and off the path. Ooops

Sounds like maybe the Turdle was playn' and haven' fun on Old Tincup. Send me the gps coordinates on it and I can tell for sure or not. I sure don't remember Tincup being knarly a month ago but they have had a bunch of rain up there and them rocks will move down on the trail when it gets wet. So it is possible.

How bout pics?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there was a cable before the switchbacks on black bear. Some guy was swinging out on it over the gorge. The cable had a loop with a towel held on by duct tape. You grab the cable, run, and jump over the edge, and hold on for your life till you swing back to land!

oh hell no!

Back