Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

Yep, with a couple of rare exceptions (Poughkeepsie Gulch's last major obstacle depending on the weather and trail conditions; and maybe Black Bear at the top). A stock Explorer can and has many times run 99% of the trails in the area. Check threads on past runs there and read the reports.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engineer Pass is rough in places but can vary. Don't worry, though, if you're there for less than a week you won't run out of trails to do!

I have done all the trails up there except Poughkeepsie in a bone stock 91 so yes it would not be a problem. I did break an automatic locking hub on Engineer so if you have manual locking hubs you are fine. Also you dont want to do Black Bear without some experience first as it has the most pucker factor of any of the trails up there.

..... and Brian also happens to be one of the two best Explorer 4x4 pilots I've run with..... I've seen him and mrBoyle go places in stock/mostly stock Explorers that would absolutely astonish anyone! Just get behind him, watch, and then do what he does :D

will stock explorers be able to do these trails?

I have only wheeled 1st gen stuff so I can't say about newer stuff first hand. I have seen folks in that area with tire trouble. You really need LT(light truck) tires. P or passanger car tires are too soft for the rocks up there. If you are running small tires and ground affects it will take a lot more work to get over everything without damage. And again it depends on driving style. For those trails gears help out a lot. I'd rather have 30's or 31's with 3.73 gears up there than 33's with 3.27 gears.

The Heep rental and tourist stuff is very important up there. They try to plow open some of the trails for Memorial Day. I plan to be out there Memorial weekend and camp up in the mountians. Gonna be cold I think. I'm gonna try to do Engineer, Cinnamon, and Ophir. Used to be Black Bear was not plowed open and didn't open on it's own till late. The rental places used to not let folks do Black Bear with the stock heepies. Don't know if that is still the case or not. So that is the reason for late summer trips. Everything is more likely to be open then.

I have only wheeled 1st gen stuff so I can't say about newer stuff first hand. I have seen folks in that area with tire trouble. You really need LT(light truck) tires. P or passanger car tires are too soft for the rocks up there. If you are running small tires and ground affects it will take a lot more work to get over everything without damage. And again it depends on driving style. For those trails gears help out a lot. I'd rather have 30's or 31's with 3.73 gears up there than 33's with 3.27 gears.

The Heep rental and tourist stuff is very important up there. They try to plow open some of the trails for Memorial Day. I plan to be out there Memorial weekend and camp up in the mountians. Gonna be cold I think. I'm gonna try to do Engineer, Cinnamon, and Ophir. Used to be Black Bear was not plowed open and didn't open on it's own till late. The rental places used to not let folks do Black Bear with the stock heepies. Don't know if that is still the case or not. So that is the reason for late summer trips. Everything is more likely to be open then.

my truck is a 1st gen. im running stock size goodyear wranglers for tires. and i got the 3.73 gearing

I have 3.73's and 31 BFG AT's. With the 3.4 1st gear I was wanting a 4 to 1 first gear on Red Cone last year. The 235's are about 29" and should help you out. If you have any plastic on your rockers you might remove them and your front air dam before you go. They can be put back on afterwards. A hand throtle would be a good low cost mod.

I should be through Lamar in two weeks on my way to Lake City. I plan to spend wednesday night the 26th in Walsenburg.

I have 3.73's and 31 BFG AT's. With the 3.4 1st gear I was wanting a 4 to 1 first gear on Red Cone last year. The 235's are about 29" and should help you out. If you have any plastic on your rockers you might remove them and your front air dam before you go. They can be put back on afterwards. A hand throtle would be a good low cost mod.

I should be through Lamar in two weeks on my way to Lake City. I plan to spend wednesday night the 26th in Walsenburg.

is the air dam the plastic peice under the front bumper?

Yup. I want to have mine painted and those filled in. I've always been of the opinion ya kin remove those before ya go or remove them on a rock on the trail. Some folks say ya need to modify stuff the factory put down there in the way. Again either fore ya go or on the trail. But that is just what I do. Others may do things different.

Just went thru this thread again. Man what a trip this was! I want to go back so bad it aint funny!

Anyway, here is a bump to show those that have not yet seen how awesome this area is. :D

Just went thru this thread again. Man what a trip this was! I want to go back so bad it aint funny!

Definately! Great trails, great turnout of Explorers/Rangers and good weather made that a fun trip!

After 11 years of Explorer runs in Colorado over Labor Day weekend this will be my first year of not doing one :(

I did get my Colorado fix last weekend on Mt Blanca though!

Well at least someone got their MT High. :thumbsup:

I will get back someday. I want to share this "Adventure" with my Son eventually. It was a trip in a lifetime for someone like me, and this trip makes me remember why I fell in love with the whole Modifying the Explorer in the first place. :D

That was a great trip!

I won't be attending this year either. :mad:

Let's try to make next a big trip - what do you think?

We would really have to push the meet to get a turnout like this one was. 2012 is an election year, who knows what we will be in store for, lets just wait and see what happens. :dunno:

Back