Return from Truckhaven: Thanksgiving weekend '08 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Truckhaven: Thanksgiving weekend '08

my cameras do that too. The sun looks like a black hole:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto everything Dave said. :thumbsup:I had a great time with all my buds. We covered a lot of ground on Sat. Some of it new. Thanks to trail boss Brian.

Thank you Colin for the power steering cap trail fix. We should place that on emergency what to do's.

I lost me power steering cap and Colin gave me the idea to cut a water bottle and use it as the cap. I did and with a few zip ty's from Bob we were off and running. :D

Can't wait for MLK.

Tom

I lost me power steering cap and Colin gave me the idea to cut a water bottle and use it as the cap. I did and with a few zip ty's from Bob we were off and running. :D
Tom

Good call Colin...Although you stole the idea from Dust to Glory, where they use the beer can as a gas cap on the quad :p:

Good call though;):thumbsup:

Yea Steve, but we commited the biggest no-no in off-roading, NOBODY BROUGHT DUCT TAPE:nono::nono::nono:

There must be a power steering fluid cap thief out there somewhere. On November 22nd he was at Tahuya here in the Pacific Northwest. A week later, T-haven. :scratch:Hmmmmmmm:scratch:

However, one of did have duct tape, and a zip tie for extra holding strength, but I found it wasn't nearly as good as the actual cap and my pump wined about it the whole day.

LOL, I think we've all been lacking on the supplies on the last few runs. I dropped $50 at the parts store just refilling my fluid container, about half went into my truck (which is now on my driveway again) and the other half has been handed out at recent rides.

Time to remind everybody to bust out the ol' GJarrett trail supplies list and stock up.

And Colin, I used that method for antenna mounting for about 2 years and it worked like a charm.
attachment.php

^ Danny's Right...After the last trip...I found myself sort of unprepared. :( I always feel like I take to much stuff, and yet I noticed so many little things I was missing. I think we have had such a good streak of not breaking anything over the last year or two, that we have become lazy... I noticed I didn't even have Duct tape last trip....I just assumed I had it...or some one else would :nono:

And Colin, I've used that method for antenna mounting for about 2 years.
That's where we got the idea. Brian remembered you had it there. I would have put it back there, but the cable I had was only 10' long. :)

I'll find a real mount for it some day...

haha, glad I was there in spirit. I'm incorporating a new mount on my new rear bumper/tire carrier. I've got a few practice welds down and now I think it's time to go Frankenstein on the new idea.

Pulled the frontend apart this morning before I left for work. I ended up breaking the long side shaft at the splines inside the carrier. Now as soon as I find another shaft I can fully pull the front end apart to get the broken shaft out.

So that's why we didn't see what "popped" on that obstacle. Bummer... Is the hub fine then and it's just the shaft?

I'm editing the video some so it'll be back up in a few.

I ended up breaking the long side shaft at the splines inside the carrier. Now as soon as I find another shaft I can fully pull the front end apart to get the broken shaft out.
I didn't think it was possible but on my 2nd to last break at the inner spline, I found a large magnet, duct taped it to the end of a broom, and was able to pull out the broken piece until it fell out past the inner seal (getting over and "outside" the inner seal is the hardest part). So I didn't' have to pull the carrier and the other axle shaft.

Pulled the frontend apart this morning before I left for work. I ended up breaking the long side shaft at the splines inside the carrier. Now as soon as I find another shaft I can fully pull the front end apart to get the broken shaft out.

That's why me carry spares:D well, I still don't have a short inner spare:(

I had a friggin great time! I usually don't like leading, but the weather, the group, the nice dust free Truckhaven. Had a blast. Thought we got away with no carnage this weekend, but I guess Matt had to go and break something.:p:

There must be a power steering fluid cap thief out there somewhere. On November 22nd he was at Tahuya here in the Pacific Northwest. A week later, T-haven. :scratch:Hmmmmmmm:scratch:

Sounds like a mutation of the "Chupacabra" Kev Gotta keep our eyes open for the next appearnence.:D

Great video Colin:thumbsup:

I took hardly any pics, just a few around camp. Still working on some video...here's the pics:

img_1078.jpg

img_1077.jpg

img_1076.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you guys had a great time!!

Back